Essential oils (EOs), containing potent medicinal and cosmetic properties, have become an unavoidable part of our natural medicine cabinet.
Essential oils for stretch marks and scars removal have been gaining unprecedented popularity and acceptance in the recent times.
The molecular size of essential oils is unusually small, and this allows the healing properties in them to be quickly absorbed by the skin; in fact, most EOs are not to be ingested either.
Stretch marks and all types of scars on the skin can be diminished or gradually removed through regular treatment with EOs and healthy diet. They can be used as massage oil, ingredients in skin lotions and creams, or as part of oil blends and herbal remedies.
Stretch marks often appear in different colors like red, pink, purple, or white as zebra lines or streaks (2).
Stretch marks mostly appear on the tummy, breasts, upper arms, thighs, and derrières (3).
Tearing of dermis, the main reason behind stretch marks, is often caused by the rapid growth or increase or decrease in body size.
- Do Essential Oils For Stretch Marks And Scars Work?
- 7 Effective Essential Oils For Scars And Stretch Marks Removal
- Other Recommended Essential Oils For Making Oil Blends
- 5 Essential Oil Recipes For Stretch Marks Removal
Do Essential Oils For Stretch Marks And Scars Work?
It is natural for anyone to question the effectiveness of essential oils in diminishing the stretch marks.
First of all, the effectiveness of EO’s depend on the stubbornness of the stretch marks which may vary according to the conditions. They do help in lightening the marks and scars to some extent.
Secondly, essential oils are NOT an all-in-one solution for scar or stretch marks removal. They are mostly an additional treatment which gives an added boost to the other regular scar removal remedies and diet.
Essential oils are superior to the prescription treatments for stretch marks removal because of the natural properties contained in them. EOs do not cause side effects and have several added health benefits besides removing the scars.
Most of the essential oils contain several therapeutic properties that work well for toning and correcting the texture and tone of the skin.
Essential oils are effective for scars and stretch marks removal because of the antiseptic, antibacterial, antioxidant, antifungal and antiviral properties in them. They help in the regeneration of damaged skin tissues to recover to the original state (5,6).
7 Effective Essential Oils For Scars And Stretch Marks Removal
Few of the essential oils are very effective in various skin care treatments including acne, scars and stretch marks. Here are the most effective essential oils for managing stretch marks and scars:
1. Lavender Oil
Among the many essential oils, lavender oil is the most revered oil for its several medicinal properties (7).
This oil is excellent for the skin as it moisturizes, rejuvenates and lightens the skin (8).
In fact, you may find that lavender essential oil is a prime ingredient in many of the skin care products.
Lavender oil is effective for fighting scars and stretch marks; also help in improving skin complexion.
Directions For Use:
- Take few drops of lavender oil and carefully massages the oil on the area of the skin with stretch marks. It is better to dilute lavender essential oil (5 drops) in coconut oil (1 tablespoon) before applying it on skin.
- Prepare a blend of three or more essential oils like lavender, tea tree, Neroli, lemon or sage to achieve best results.
2. Tea Tree Oil
This oil also helps cleanse the skin pores and rejuvenate the skin.
Directions For Use:
- Take few drops of TTO diluted in 1 tablespoon coconut oil and gently massage the blended oils on the stretch marks affected area. Repeat the treatment twice daily.
3. Helichrysum Oil
Helichrysum oil is known for its effectiveness in skin care treatments. This oil is anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, analgesic, astringent, and diuretic. The antibacterial properties of this oil are akin to tea tree oil (10).
Applying this oil on skin helps improve the blood circulation to the skin tissues which is useful for repairing damaged skin like stretch marks and scars.
Helichrysum essential oil aids in the regeneration and fresh growth of new dermis layer that help in the faster removal or diminishing of stretch marks.
Helichrysum oil also improves the tone and texture of skin by reducing pigmentation.
Directions For Use:
- Apply directly to wrinkles, scars, and stretch marks or to soothe minor skin irritations.
- Another option is to prepare a blend of Helichrysum, Lavender, Neroli and coconut oil for treating skin scars and stretch marks.
4. Neroli Oil
Neroli oil, obtained from orange blossoms, is a proven natural remedy for regenerating and restoring damaged skin, especially in correcting wrinkles and sagging skin (11).
This oil is known for its ability to regenerate the skin cells and improve the elasticity of the skin.
Neroli oil is also beneficial for maintaining oil balance on the skin and countering over pigmentation on the skin.
It works well for managing any skin conditions related to stress or stretching of the skin. The wonderful healing properties in this oil prevent or remove rashes, wrinkles, stretch marks and scars on the skin.
Regular use of this oil can certainly aid in the faster diminishing of stretch marks.
Directions For Use:
- Wet a cotton ball, add 2-3 drops of Neroli oil and lightly dab it on your skin area with stretch marks.
- Mix 3 drops of this oil in your favorite skin cream and apply the mixture on scars or stretch marks two times a day till the marks disappear.
- Add a few drops of Neroli oil to one ounce of sweet almond oil and use the oil blend for massaging the skin for improving blood circulation and fading away the stretch marks.
5. Sage Oil
Sage or Salvia Officinalis oil and extracts are a commonly used ingredient in many of the natural skin care products.
Natural chemical compounds, vitamins and fatty acids in sage essential oil are truly beneficial in various skin and beauty treatments.
The antioxidant properties present in this oils sage reverse the signs of aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, scars, stretch marks and age spots (12).
Sage oil aids in regulating the production of sebum oil in the skin tissues and lightens the skin complexion by reducing pigmentation.
The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help to prevent and protect the skin from infections and damages; improves blood circulation and skin repair.
This oil is truly beneficial for pregnant woman for preventing the occurrence of stretch marks in the post pregnancy period.
Directions For Use:
- Dilute 3 drops of sage oil in 1 tablespoon almond or coconut oil; use this oil blend for massaging the stretch marks affected area of the skin twice daily.
- Make a mixture of essential oil such as Lavender, Sage, Rosemary, and Tea Tree oil in coconut or almond oil; apply this oil blend twice daily on stretch marks till they completely disappear.
6. Patchouli Oil
Patchouli essential oil is a fantastic natural remedy for treating various skin and hair related issues.
Many of the traditional medicines of some of the Asian countries like Japan, China, and Malaysia usually contain Patchouli oil as an essential ingredient.
This oil is an effective remedy for managing health issues like acne, eczema, dermatitis, dandruff, dry chapped skin, oily scalp, scars, and stretch marks (13).
It is one of the best natural remedies for healing wounds, bruises and infections on skin without leaving scar marks. It is effective for diminishing the stretch marks on the skin (14).
Directions For Use:
- Take a few drops of pure Patchouli oil in the palm of your hand and gently massage the oil on the scars or stretch marks affected area of the skin. Let the oil remain for a couple of hours or leave it overnight. Repeat the application daily till the stretch marks fade or disappears.
- Make an oil blend consisting of patchouli, lavender and Neroli diluted in sweet almond oil or coconut oil; use this oil blend for massaging the stretch marks affected area.
7. Rosehip Oil
Rosehip essential oil is a very an effective natural skin care solution. This oil is well known for its efficacy in fighting wrinkles, scars, stretch marks, and discoloration (15).
Rosehip oil is quite effective in restoring the natural texture and color of damaged skin. The antioxidants present in this oil remove the free radicals that damage the skin. Fatty acids and Vitamin A contained in this oil effective for removing scars on the skin caused by pigmentation.
Directions For Use:
- Take few drops Rosehip oil and massage the oil on the stretch marks daily; this oil must be diluted in any good carrier oil like almond, coconut or olive oil before applying on sensitive skin.
- This oil can also be mixed with other essential oils to make the oil blend for getting rid of stretch marks.
Other Recommended Essential Oils For Making Oil Blends
We have just discussed 7 best essential oils for getting rid of stretch marks. There are also several other essential oils that you can use for diminishing the stretch marks depending on the availability.
Here are few more oils that worth using for treating scars and stretch marks:
Grape Seed Oil: Prevents skin cell damages and rejuvenates the skin. This oil can help in the balance of epithelium cells and nerve cells.
Cedar Wood Oil: The antifungal, antiseptic, diuretic, astringent and sedative properties in this oil are beneficial for diminishing stretch marks and scars.
Carrot Seed Oil: It is a good oil for improving skin elasticity. It lightens the skin and prevents pigmentation.
Hyssop Oil: This oil contains antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent and skin rejuvenating properties beneficial for skin. Heal cuts, wounds, and infections on skin without leaving scars and stretch marks.
Frankincense Oil: It is effective for removing scars and stretch marks. This oil contains powerful astringent which helps protect skin cells.
Juniper Oil: This oil contains natural antioxidants, and deep pore cleansing properties are beneficial for restoring the original tone and texture of skin.
Geranium Oil: The Egyptians used this oil for promoting beautiful and radiant skin, treating acne, reduce inflammation and rejuvenating the damaged skin. It boosts balanced collagen production and makes the skin elastic.
Jasmine Oil: It is a good oil for improving skin elasticity, moisturizing, and for maintaining skin oil balance. It boosts the elasticity of the skin and nourishes the skin.
Myrrh Oil: The astringent properties in this oil improve blood flow which helps in better regeneration of damaged skin cells. Applying this oil on skin helps improve the complexion and fade away stretch marks and scars.
5 Essential Oil Recipes For Stretch Marks Removal
Essential oils contain different natural chemical properties, fatty acids, and Vitamins which are beneficial in skin care.
However, one essential oil alone would not have all the necessary properties required for removing scars and improving the elasticity of the skin. For most useful results from essential oil for diminishing stretch marks it best to use a combination or blend of oils together.
Here are 5 essential oil recipes you can try for getting rid of stretch marks and scars:
1. Lavender and Lemon Oils Recipe
Use Lavender and lemon oils as a base oil to prepare an effective solution for getting rid of stretch marks.
- Beeswax: 25 ml
- Cocoa butter: 15 g
- Coconut Oil: 40 g
- Lemon Oil: 2 ml
- Lavender oil: 3 ml
Heat the mixture of cocoa butter, coconut oil, and beeswax at a moderate temperature. When the mixture is fluffy and nice add lemon and lavender oils to the mixture. Mix all the ingredients until the texture is smooth. Store it glass container with tight lid. Use the required amount of the mixture on the area of the skin with stretch marks.
2. Rosehip And Lavender Oils Recipe:
One of the finest combinations of essential oils treatment for stretch marks is Lavender and Rosehip oil.
- Rosehip Oil: 5ml
- Lavender Oil: 3 Drops
- Coconut/Sweet Almond Oil: 1 tablespoon
Make a blend of these three oils and gently massage the oil blend on stretch marks.
3. Neroli And Rosehip Oils Recipe
Here is a fantastic stretch marks’ recipe that can be used during pregnancy and post pregnancy period.
- Rosehip Oil: 2 teaspoons
- Neroli Oil: 10 drops
- Lavender Oil: 10 drops.
Pour the Rosehip oil in a 2 oz glass bottle and add to it Neroli and Lavender oil. Shake well the bottle till the oils are perfectly blended. Store the oil blend in cool, dry and dark place. Apply this oil mixture on stretch marks daily till the marks fade away.
4. Lavender oil, Frankincense oil, and Sandalwood Oil Recipe:
Sandalwood oil and powder are traditionally used remedy for skin lightening and rejuvenation. Here is an effective oil recipe you can prepare with sandalwood oil.
- Sandalwood Oil: 5 drops
- Frankincense oil: 4 drops
- Lavender oil: 4 drops
Mix the three oils in a glass bowl and warm it up at a moderate temperature for 2 minutes. Stir well the oils mixture till it is perfectly blended. Apply this oil mixture on stretch marks till they completely fade away.
5. Jojoba, Rosehip And Lavender Oils Recipe:
Using Jojoba oil as the base for preparing blend essentials oils for managing stretch marks is great.
- Jojoba oil: 1 tablespoon
- Neroli Oil: 2 drops
- Rosehip Oil: 4 drops
- Lavender Oil: 3 drops
Slightly warm up the Jojoba oil in a glass bowl; add the essential the chosen essential oils to the Jojoba oil and stir till the oils are thoroughly blended. Apply this oil blend on stretch marks daily before you go to sleep at night and wash it off in the morning. This blend of essential oils for stretch marks works great.
- Best Essential Oils For Eczema | 7 Natural Remedies
- 12 Good Essential Oils For Pain Relief And Inflammation
- Best Essential Oils For Sunburn | 7 Natural Remedies
- How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks Fast | Home Remedies