- Benefits Of Coconut Oil Treatment For Acne Scars
- 8 Treatments With Coconut Oil For Scar Removal
Coconut oil is an excellent natural remedy for scars, especially for the acne scars.
Most people generally use the harsh and chemical rich OTC products to get rid of scars. But they do not realize the amount of gradual damage those scars removal products cause to the skin.
Scars form when the dermis (deep, thick layer of skin) is damaged. While the healing process of the wounds in progress, body forms new collagen fibers to repair the damage, causing the formation of a scar. The newly formed scar tissue is very different in quality and texture than the surrounding tissue (1,2).
Coconut oil has amazing health benefits. It is widely used oil for cooking, skin care, hair care, and as an essential ingredient in several of the natural remedies. Because of its moisturizing and hydrating properties, it has become an unavoidable product that every woman should include in their beauty kit.
Coconut oil treatment for scar removal is proved to be practical and effective. Fortunately, there are several coconut oil remedies in combination with other natural ingredients for scar removal. In this article, we are going to discuss 8 of those most popular remedies for getting rid of Acne scars, Keloid scars, Hypertrophic scars and Contracture scars with coconut oil.
Benefits Of Coconut Oil Treatment For Acne Scars
According to one of the randomized, double-blind controlled trial study, comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil, coconut oil is found to be effective and safe for skin care treatments. It is as good as any of the mineral oil used for therapeutic moisturizer for xerosis.
Another study found the effectiveness of virgin coconut oil in curing wounds without skin inflammation and overcrowding of collagen that causes scarring. It is because of the cumulative effect of various biologically active minor components present in this oil (3).
The organic oil helps in preventing acne and fade away the scars caused by it. This oil has the potential to exfoliate the dead skin cells and strengthen the texture of the skin.
The lauric acid and caprylic acid in this oil are potent antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that can fight the bacteria that cause skin inflammation in acne and wounds (4).
The presence of caprylic, lauric, and capric acids in coconut oil makes it an outstanding remedy for gradual removal of scars.
Coconut oil increases the absorption of Vitamin E, which is an important natural antioxidant beneficial for the fast recovery of skin abrasions, burns and other skin infections (5).
Using coconut oil as a facial cleanser prevents the outburst of new acne. It can make the skin supple and soft with the moisturizing effect of healthy fats in it. The oil applied on skin acts as a protective barrier to environmental pollutants that aggravate the acne and other infection on skin that leads to the formation of scars (6,7).
Other methods of scar removal treatments like laser treatment, radiotherapy, dermabrasion, chemical peels, surgery, and collagen induction therapy (CIT) are complicated and expensive. Such treatments are required only if you have to remove the stubborn and dark protruded scars. Whereas coconut oil solution for scar removal is simple, practical and inexpensive especially for removing thin and light scars from acne, stretch marks, and minor injuries.
- Read more details on the benefits of this oil for skin: Top 7 Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Skin
Is It Safe To Use Coconut On Acne Affected Skin?
All types of acne, including blackheads, pimples, whiteheads, and cysts are formed when pores in the skin become clogged with sebum oil and dead skin cells. Sebum oil is necessary for healthy skin, however, if it is trapped under the outer surface of the skin by a plugged hair follicle, it results in the production of bacteria that causes small infection (10,11).
Acne is not because of the healthy oils like the coconut oil we apply on the skin or consume. However, vegetable oils and trans fats (margarine, canola oil, corn oil, etc.) can aggravate the inflammation in acne affected skin tissues (12).
The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil do not result in clogging of the pores on the skin. It, instead, helps to exfoliate the dead skin tissues and moisturize the dry skin.
Applying and consuming coconut oil assist in getting rid of dirt, grime, bad oils, toxins and blackheads from within the pores of the skin.
Using coconut oil to detox and cleanse the skin might result in increased breakouts of pimples initially. But if you continue to apply the coconut oil regularly, the acne breakouts will diminish and disappear gradually.
The medium-chain fats in coconut oil are beneficial for accelerating the process of healing the wounds by increasing the production of collagen and its turnover. Treatment with this oil speeds up the rebuilding of skin tissues and blood vessels in the wounded area. Natural curing of wounds and eruptions on skin without the excess deposits of collagen helps in reconstructing healthy skin without scars.
8 Treatments With Coconut Oil For Scar Removal
Regularly massaging coconut oil on any types of scars (scarring from cuts, wounds, acne, burns and stretch marks) is beneficial for gradually fading them away over a period. However, coconut oil for acne scar removal and other scars works best when they are combined with natural herbal remedies for the scar.
A collective effect of the natural oils, herbs, and coconut products aids in fade away the scars.
Now let us look at a few of the proven natural remedies for scar removal with coconut oil.
1. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Treatment
Extra virgin is the best type of coconut oil for skin. Just massage the pure coconut oil on the scars 3 times a day. Here are the tips for getting maximum benefit out of this treatment:
- Steam you acne or scars affected areas of the skin with towel dipped in moderately hot water and then dry the skin
- Apply the virgin coconut oil with your finger by gently massaging on the scars affected area of the skin.
- Allow the oil to penetrate deep into the skin tissues for 10 minutes
- Rinse the oil applied area with warm water and pat dry (do this step only if you need to go to work and errands outside your home; thus your skin doesn’t look oily)
- If you are staying at home or going to bed, then just wipe off the excess oil on the skin with a tissue paper instead of washing
- Warning: This treatment is suitable for those with dry or normal skin, not recommended for oily skin
2. Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is an excellent exfoliating agent that can remove the dead skin cells and eliminates the bacteria that causes acne. It is also suitable for bleaching the skin and makes skin and scars lighter (13,14).
- Make a lotion that contains 2 teaspoon coconut oil and 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Gently massage this lotion on scars and acne
- After 15 minutes you can wash and pat dry the skin
- Warning: Do not apply this lotion on cuts and wounds before they are fully cured
3. Coconut Oil And Honey
- Mix 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Massage this lotion on the scarred skin and leave it on skin for 15 minutes
- Rinse the skin and pat dry
- Repeat this treatment twice daily
4. Coconut Oil And Turmeric
Turmeric is an age old and time tested herbal treatment used for enhancing and rejuvenating the skin. It has unique ability reduce inflammation and acne eruption by destroying Propionibacterium acnes. It helps to heal the wounds and reduces swelling. Regular use of turmeric paste on the skin lightens the skin complexion and erases scars (17).
- Take 1 teaspoon turmeric powder in 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Apply this lotion on the affected areas of the skin
- Gently massage lotion for few minutes to allow it to penetrate into skin tissues
- After 15 minutes you can wash off the applied lotion with lukewarm water
- For better results, let the turmeric lotion to stay overnight on the skin
5. Coconut Oil And Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a well-known natural remedy for almost every type skin issues. It soothes erupted pimples, heals acne blisters, and kills the bacteria responsible for acne. It is beneficial for treating dry skin and parched skin. It is regularly used along with various other ingredients for skin lightening and scar removal (18).
- Mix a tablespoon of aloe vera gel with 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Gently massage this mixture on the area of the skin to be treated
- Allow the lotion to stay on the skin for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes you can rinse and pat dry the skin
- Repeat this treatment twice daily
6. Coconut Oil And Brown Sugar
Brown sugar is a commonly used natural remedy for dead skin exfoliation. This is also a good bleaching solution of skin lightening.
- Mix ½ tablespoon of brown sugar in 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Massage the brown sugar paste on the areas of the skin, to be treated
- Leave application on skin for 10 minutes
- Then rinse with cold water and pat dry the skin
- Repeat this treatment twice or thrice in a week
7. Baking Soda And Coconut Oil
Baking soda is a popular skin bleaching solution. It deep cleanses the skin pores to remove the dirt and dead skin cell. Baking soda treatment also helps to lighten the dark pigmentation scars and patches the on the skin (19).
- Mix 1 teaspoon baking soda in 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Massage the baking soda lotion on the desired area of the skin for 5 minutes
- You can rinse off the application with cold water after 15 minutes
- Repeat the treatment twice a week
8. Other Treatments For Acne Scars With Coconut Oil
Uses coconut oil regularly for moisturizing your body instead of the skin lotions you get over the counter.
When the coconut oil is applied and left on the skin for long, the vitamins and fatty acids in the oil penetrates into the skin tissues. This helps to nourish the skin and lighten the scars on the body. If you feel uncomfortable to leave the coconut oil on the body, you can wash it off after 30 minutes with any good natural body wash.
Regularly consuming 20-30 grams of coconut oil in your diet helps in making your skin and hair healthy. Coconut oil detoxifies the body and brings about cholesterol balance in the body. Unlike the unhealthy fats and oils, consuming coconut oil does not increase the sebum oil in excess. Here are few ways to include coconut oil in your daily diet.
- Swallow ½ teaspoon extra virgin coconut oil before each meal
- Use coconut oil for dressing the salad
- Make coconut oil your preferred cooking oil
- You can add a teaspoon of coconut oil in juices, smoothies, coffee or tea
For those who consume coconut oil regularly, it helps to heal the wounds and acne eruption on skin fast with fewer scar marks.
Replace your sunscreen lotion with coconut oil to prevent over tanning of the skin from sunburn.
The Bottom Line
Virgin raw coconut oil is one of the finest natural remedies for acne and scars, besides the several other benefits, it provides to the skin. The healthy cholesterol present in coconut oil is effective for treating all types of scar.
Applying coconut oil regularly on skin helps to moisturize and protect the skin from external dirt and pollutants that clog the skin pores.
It is important for you to understand that when you are treating scars and acne with natural remedies, you shouldn’t be overdoing it. Suddenly using an excessive amount of oil and other herbal ingredients on the skin would produce adverse effects.
You should not expect an overnight solution for scars removal with home remedies. Natural remedies with coconut oil will help in fade away the scars with consistent and prolonged usage for several weeks or months, depending on the severity of the scars.
Try out the best coconut treatments which are convenient for you. Stick with the best treatment that works for your type of skin. If you are not fond of this oil, you can also try good natural skin creams like Meladerm for scar removal.
Coconut oil for scars and acne works if you can patiently carry on with the treatment regularly. Don’t give up the treatment after a few days.
Take time to add your opinion in the comment section below if you have any doubts or want to share your experience with coconut oil for scars treatment.
Other Useful Articles On Coconut Oil
- Does Coconut Oil For Sunburn Work? | 7 Effective Remedies
- Does Coconut Oil For Weight Loss Work?
- Does Coconut Oil For Hair Growth And Hair Treatments Work?
- Top 7 Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Skin
- Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Your Health And Weight Loss