Obesity is the biggest health issue that has affected millions of people across the globe. According to the latest WHO obesity statistics, 39% of adults aged 18 and over were overweight in 2014, and 13% were obese across the planet.
Today, managing body weight is a serious concern for most people, with increasing awareness of the fatal dangers of being obese.
Every health-conscious person is seriously interested in slimming down by burning away body fat safely and effectively. There are many ways to achieve your weight-loss goal. Using essential oils helps to shed weight. It’s one of the safest ways to lose weight naturally.
Natural methods are best for healthily shedding weight. You have gained weight gradually, so the weight loss progress should also be made at a gradual pace. It is safe and best to choose natural fat-loss remedies.
How Do Essential Oils For Weight Loss Work?
First, let me remind you that essential oil extracts are not magical substances that can make you lose weight at breakneck speed. No weight loss products can cause you to lose more than half a pound per day without causing harm to your health.
Using the essential oil will not lose 20 pounds in 20 days. But if you are into a healthy weight loss program, essential oils can be a part of your plan for shedding weight.
Here are some of the weight loss benefits of essential oils you can expect:
- helps to boost your metabolism,
- reduces appetite and food cravings,
- improves digestion and absorption of nutrients,
- assists in detoxifying the body,
- provides antioxidants,
- reduces fluid retention in the body,
- relieves stress and anxiety to reduce “stress eating”,
- helps to achieve faster satiation while eating,
- improves blood circulation and stimulates nerves,
- promotes fat burning.
Best Essential Oils That Promote Weight Loss
This article will discuss the top 10 essential oils for natural weight loss and give tips on how to use them effectively.
Always use carrier oils to dilute essential oils and “carry” them to your skin. Undiluted EOs are potent and can cause irritation when directly applied to your skin. Some of the best carrier oils are sweet almond oil, extra olive oil, virgin coconut oil, jojoba oil, and apricot kernel oil.
Here are the potent essential oils that help with weight loss:
1. Grapefruit essential oil
Grapefruit essential oil for weight loss works great because it stimulates the enzymes that help break down brown body fat; activates the enzymes in saliva that promote fat breakdown.
This oil is extracted from the grapefruit peel, which contains a D-limonene compound, which is a good solvent of cholesterol and helps to reduce inflammation and toxins in the colon.
Many cellulite creams and blends have Grapefruit oil as an ingredient because of its diuretic and lymphatic stimulation effects.
Taking a mixture of grapefruit and patchouli oil makes it easy to control your hunger and urges to eat.
Here are a few ways to make use of grapefruit oil for shedding weight:
Weight Loss Drink: Daily, drink a glass of water or smoothies with a few drops of grapefruit oil diluted. It is most effective to drink 30 minutes before meals.
Weight Loss Massage: Add 10 drops of grapefruit to 3 tablespoons of olive oil and use this oil blend to massage fat-accumulated areas and the waistline. Wash the applied oil only after 30 minutes. A blend of patchouli, grapefruit, and olive oils is the best for this purpose.
Oil Bath: Add a few drops of grapefruit oil to your warm bath in the bathtub. For the best weight loss benefits, add a few drops of sandalwood, ginger, and lemon oils and 50 ml of apple cider vinegar. Soak yourself in the oil-treated warm water for 30 minutes; repeat this bathing ritual every other day for 45 days.
2. Cinnamon essential oil
Cinnamon essential oil is a proven natural diet for slimming. This oil helps to regulate blood sugar levels and the glucose tolerance factor (GTF).
It is most beneficial for individuals who suffer from diabetes and obesity. Ingesting cinnamon oil also has been proven effective in suppressing appetite and cravings for sweets.
For weight loss and diabetes management, you can use this oil as follows:
- Add a few drops of cinnamon oil to your food preparations, such as smoothies, salads, oatmeal, baked foods, tea, and vegetable dishes.
- Using this oil in aromatherapy helps to suppress appetite and reduce stress and anxiety.
3. Ginger essential oil
Ginger essential oil is a powerful oil for burning fat, as it can help reduce the craving for sweets and prevent inflammation. It is excellent for improving digestion and absorption of nutrients.
A 2013 study that was published in the Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology found that the antioxidants in ginger can reduce inflammation and pain.
Prevention and reduction of intestinal inflammation are essential for healthy metabolism and nutrient absorption. This oil can also help with bowel movements, give you more energy, and stop your body from storing fat.
You can make ginger essential oil part of your weight loss regimen in the following ways:
- Add 3 drops of ginger oil to vegetable smoothies or other beverages and drink.
- Take a cup of warm water and add a few drops of ginger oil, lemon juice, and 1 tbsp of honey to it; every morning, have this drink on an empty stomach.
- Inhale ginger oil (aromatherapy).
4. Peppermint essential oil
Poor metabolism and digestive issues are the leading causes of obesity. Peppermint essential oil contains chemical properties that can activate digestive enzymes.
This oil can uplift the mood by relieving stress and anxiety; this helps to prevent emotional eating and promotes better metabolism.
Peppermint oil has the power to heal sour stomach and infections in the gut. It is also found to be effective in suppressing appetite and sugar cravings.
Here are some of the ways you can integrate peppermint essential oil into your diet program:
- Inhale peppermint oil (through aromatherapy) to suppress appetite and relieve stress.
- Add two drops of this oil to a glass of warm water and drink it 30 minutes before the meal.
- Dilute a few drops of peppermint oil in the warm water you use for bathing.
5. Lemon essential oil
Lemon essential oil is beneficial for helping you manage a few obesity-related issues. This oil contains excellent antioxidants that help to detoxify the body and boost energy levels.
This oil’s healing properties are great for dealing with parasites in the gut and digestive problems.
This oil contains a cyclic terpene substance called d-limonene, which has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties beneficial for promoting a healthy metabolism.
You can include this oil in your diet in the following ways:
- To suppress appetite, inhale lemon essential oil 30 minutes before eating.
- Massage the accumulated fat or cellulite-affected areas with a few drops of lemon oil diluted in olive oil.
- Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to warm water or green tea, and have this drink on an empty stomach every morning.
6. Fennel essential oil
Fennel oil is a fantastic essential oil diet for weight loss. The health benefits of this oil include suppression of appetite, prevention of fat accumulation, and improved digestion.
Weight gain can result from many factors, including a bad diet. Fennel oil is composed of melatonin (N-acetyl-5-methoxy tryptamine), a natural hormone that helps regulate circadian rhythms. This helps cure insomnia and remove anxiety, which usually aggravates obesity issues. Many of the popular weight loss supplements have melatonin as an active ingredient.
Fennel seed (high in oil) is an excellent diet for appetite suppression and treating certain diseases.
Here are some of the ways you can include fennel oil in your weight loss program:
- Add 10 drops of fennel oil to your bathtub filled with warm water, and soak yourself in this water for 10-15 minutes.
- Massage the cellulite or fat-accumulated areas with a few drops of fennel essential oil diluted in olive oil.
- Do aromatherapy with fennel and lavender oil can helps to suppress appetite and relieve anxiety.
7. Orange essential oil
Orange oil is one of the most popular essential oils for weight management. This oil is also well-known for its antidepressant and stress-relieving properties.
The antidepressant effect produced by this oil can help a person overcome emotional eating and food cravings. The antioxidants and Vitamin C in this oil help fight cellular inflammation that usually occurs in obese individuals.
Here are a few ways to include this oil in your diet program:
- If you smell orange oil 30 minutes before a meal, it can make you feel less hungry and calm you down.
- Add a few drops of orange oil to a cup of warm water or green tea; drink it 30 minutes before the meal to reduce appetite and achieve faster satiation.
8. Cardamom essential oil
A healthy stomach and proper functioning of the body’s digestive system are necessary for keeping obesity issues at bay. Thus, one of the important aspects of the weight loss program is improving the healthy functioning of the stomach and digestive system.
The gastroprotective effects of cardamom are beneficial for protecting your stomach from ulcers and infections. In fact, cardamom essential oil is a traditional home remedy for treating stomach ailments.
You can include this oil in your daily diet in the following ways:
- Use it as cooking oil;
- Have fennel oil in capsule form;
- Add 2 drops of this oil to a cup of warm water and drink.
9. Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary essential oil has several therapeutic powers and other health benefits. It is an excellent essential oil for weight reduction because of its appetite suppression ability of this oil. Inhaling the scent of this oil relaxes nerves and elevates moods, which helps to suppress appetite and cravings for food.
Rosemary oil has the potency to make you lose weight by increasing the breakdown of fat cells into energy. It is also known for its sedative effects, which produce a sense of satisfaction and faster satiation from food.
You can include this essential oil in your diet program in the following ways:
- Massage the fat-accumulated areas of your body with a few drops of rosemary oil mixed in coconut or olive oil.
- Inhale the sweet scent of the rosemary oil 30 minutes before the meal.
10. Frankincense essential oil
The calming effect of frankincense essential oil is beneficial for weight loss. This helps to reduce depression and anxiety, which are necessary for weight loss through a reduction in cravings for food and appetite.
The therapeutic properties of this essential oil are like a health tonic for boosting the functioning of bodily systems. This oil is useful for activating digestive enzymes for better absorption of vitamins and nutrients that strengthen the immune system.
Frankincense essential oil improves the metabolism and secretion of acids, gastric juices, and bile. All these health benefits from this oil are great for increased fat burning and a reduction in body weight.
You can make use of Frankincense oil for weight loss in the following ways:
- Dilute this oil in olive or coconut oil and apply it to areas of the body where fat has accumulated.
- You can drink 3 drops of this oil diluted in 1 cup of warm water.
- In a warm water bath, add frankincense essential oil.
- You can add a few drops of this oil to your cooking oil.
Besides the ones that I have listed, bergamot essential oil and lavender essential oil also can use in your diet. However, out of the top 10 essential oils for weight loss that I have discussed above, I recommend you use cinnamon oil, grapefruit, ginger, and frankincense essential oils to help your weight loss efforts. You can use them together or separately.
Three effective ways to use these oils for fat loss are through ingesting them in warm water or juices, topically applying them to the body, or using them in aromatherapy. You can diffuse the essential oil in the bedroom or office room to get it inhaled.
If you are obese or overweight, you can use essential oils for weight management in your diet program.
Recommended reading list: