Obesity is the biggest health issue that has affected millions of people across the globe. According to the WHO obesity statistics available, 39% of adults aged 18 years and over were overweight in 2014, and 13% were obese across the planet.
Today, managing body weight is a serious concern for most people with increasing awareness of the fatal dangers of being obese.
Every health-conscious person is seriously interested in slimming down by burning away the body fats safely and effectively. There are many ways to achieve your weight loss goal. Using essential oils for shedding weight is one of the safest ways to lose weight naturally.
Natural methods are best for losing weight in a healthy way. You have gained weight at a gradual pace, and so the weight loss progress should also be made at a gradual pace. It is safe and best to choose natural fat loss remedies like the use of essential oils for losing weight naturally.
How Do Essential Oils For Weight Loss Work?
First of all, let me remind you that essential oil extracts are not any magical substances that can make you lose weight at a breakneck speed. Honestly, there are NO weight loss products that can make you lose more than 1/2 pound a day without damaging your health.
You will not lose 20 pounds in 20 days by using the essential oil. But if you are into a healthy weight loss program, then essential oil can definitely be a part of your plan for shedding weight.
Here are some of the weight loss benefits of essential oils you can expect:
- Helps to promote healthy metabolism;
- Suppresses appetite and food cravings;
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients;
- Assists in detoxifying the body;
- Provides antioxidants;
- Reduces fluid retention in the body;
- Relieves stress and anxiety to reduce ‘stress eating’;
- Helps to achieve faster satiation while eating;
- Improves blood circulation and stimulates nerves;
- Promotes fat burning.
In this article, we are going to discuss the top 10 essential oils for natural weight loss and tips on how to use them effectively.
1. Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil for weight loss works great because it stimulates the enzymes that help in the breakdown of brown body fat; activates the enzymes in saliva that promotes fat breakdown.
This oil is extracted from the grapefruit peel which contains D-limonene compound which is a good solvent of cholesterol and helps to reduce inflammation and toxins in the colon.
Many of the cellulite creams and blends have Grapefruit oil as an ingredient because of its diuretic and lymphatic stimulation effects.
It is easy to suppress appetite and cravings for food by consuming a mixture of grapefruit oil and patchouli oil.
Here are a few ways to make use of Grapefruit oil for shedding weight:
- Weight Loss Drink: Daily drink a glass of water with a few drops of Grapefruit oil diluted in it. It is most effective to drink 30 minutes before the meals.
- Weight Loss Massage: Add 10 drops of Grapefruit oil in 3 Tbsps of Olive oil and use this oil blend for massaging fat accumulated areas and waistline. Wash of the applied oil only after 30 minutes. A blend of Patchouli, Grapefruit, and Olive oils are the best for this purpose.
- Oil Bath: Add a few drops of Grapefruit in your warm water bath in the bathtub. For best weight loss benefits, you can also add a few drops of Sandalwood, Ginger, and Lemon Oils and 50ml of Apple Cider Vinegar. Soak yourself in the oil-treated warm water for 30 minutes; repeat this bathing ritual every alternative day for 45 days.
2. Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon essential oil is a proven natural diet for slimming. This oil helps to regulate blood glucose levels and Glucose Tolerance Factor (GTF).
It is most beneficial for individuals who suffer from diabetes and obesity. Ingesting cinnamon oil is proved to be effective for suppressing appetite and craving for sweets.
For weight loss and diabetes management you can use this oil as follows:
- Add a few drops of cinnamon oil in your food preparations such as smoothies, salads, oatmeal, baked foods, tea and vegetable dishes.
- Using this oil in aromatherapy helps to suppress appetite and reduce stress and anxiety.
3. Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger essential oil is a powerful oil for burning body fat as it can help to reduce the craving for sweets and prevent inflammation. It is excellent for improving digestion and absorption of nutrients.
According to a 2013 study published in the Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, the antioxidants present in Ginger has anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive powers.
Prevention and reduction of intestinal inflammation are necessary for healthy metabolism and healthy absorption of nutrients. This oil also can help in improving bowel movement, promoting energy levels and reducing body fat accumulations.
You can make Ginger essential oil part of your weight loss regimen in the following ways:
- Add 3 drops of Ginger oil in vegetable smoothies or other beverages and drink.
- Take a cup of warm water and add a few drops of ginger oil, lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp honey in it; every morning have this drink in an empty stomach.
- Inhale the ginger oil (aromatherapy).
4. Peppermint Essential Oil
Poor metabolism and digestive issues are the leading causes of obesity. Peppermint essential oil contains chemical properties that can activate the digestive enzymes.
This oil can uplift the mood by relieving stress and anxiety; this helps to prevent emotional eating and promotes better metabolism.
Peppermint oil has the power to heal stomach upsets and infections in the gut. It is also found to be effective in suppressing appetite and craving for sugar.
Here are some the ways you can integrate Peppermint essential oil in your diet program:
- Inhale Peppermint oil (through aromatherapy) to suppress appetite and relieve stress.
- Add two drops of this oil in a glass of warm water and drink it 30 minutes before the meal.
- Dilute a few drops Peppermint oil in the warm water you use for bathing.
5. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is beneficial in helping you manage a few of the obesity-related issues. This oil contains excellent antioxidants that help to detoxify the body and boost energy levels.
The therapeutic powers inherent in this oil are excellent for addressing intestinal parasites and digestive ailments.
This oil contains a cyclic terpene substance called d-limonene; a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant property beneficial for promoting healthy metabolism.
You can include this oil in your diet plan in the following ways:
- Inhale the lemon essential oil 30 minutes before the meal to suppress appetite.
- Massage the fat accumulated or cellulite affected areas with few drops of lemon oil diluted in olive oil.
- Add a few drops lemon essential oil to warm water or green tea and have this drink every morning in an empty stomach.
6. Fennel Essential Oil
Fennel oil is a fantastic essential oil diet for weight loss. The health benefits of this oil include suppression of appetite, prevention of fat accumulation, and improved digestion.
Weight gains can result from a lot of reasons, including a bad diet. Fennel essential oils are comprised of Melatonin (N-acetyl-5-methoxy tryptamine), a type of natural hormone that helps in regulating the circadian rhythms. This helps in curing insomnia and removal of anxiety which usually aggravates obesity issues. Many of the popular weight loss supplements have melatonin as an active ingredient in them.
By the way, the fennel seed (rich in oil) is an excellent diet for appetite suppression and curing some of the diseases.
Here are some of the ways you can include Fennel Essential Oil in your weight loss program:
- Add 10 drops of fennel essential oil in your bathtub filled with warm water and soak yourself in this water for 10-15 minutes.
- Massage the cellulite or fat accumulated areas with few drops of Fennel essential oil diluted in olive oil.
- Do aromatherapy with Fennel Oil; it helps to suppress appetite and relieve anxiety.
7. Orange Essential Oil
Orange oil is one of the popularly used essential oils for weight loss. This oil is also known for its antidepressant and stress relief benefits.
The antidepressant effect produced by this oil can help the person to overcome emotional eating and food craving. The antioxidants and Vitamin C present this oil help to fight cellular inflammation that usually happens the obese individuals.
Here are a few ways to include this oil in your diet program:
- Inhaling the scent of orange oil 30 minutes before the meal can help to suppress appetite and relieve anxiety.
- Add a few drops of orange oil in a cup of warm water or green tea; drink it 30 minutes before the meal to reduce appetite and achieve faster satiation.
8. Cardamom Essential Oil
A healthy stomach and proper functioning of the digestive system of the body is necessary for keeping obesity issues at bay. Thus one of the important aspects of the weight loss program is about improving the healthy functioning of the stomach and digestive system.
The gastroprotective effects of cardamom are beneficial for protecting your stomach from ulcers and infections. In fact, cardamom essential is a traditional home remedy for treating stomach ailments.
You can include this oil in your daily diet in the following ways:
- Use it as cooking oil;
- Have fennel oil in a capsule form;
- Add 2 drops of this oil in a cup of warm water and drink.
9. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil is known for several therapeutic powers and other health benefits it has. It is an excellent essential oil for weight reduction because of the appetite suppression ability of this oil. Inhaling the scent of this oil relaxes nerves and elevates moods which help to suppress appetite and craving for food.
Rosemary oil has the potency to make you lose weight by increasing the breakdown of fat cells into energy. It is also known for its sedative effects that produce a sense of satisfaction and faster satiation from food.
You can include this essential oil in your diet program in the following ways:
- Massage the fat accumulated areas of your body with few drops of Rosemary oil mixed in coconut or olive oil.
- Inhale the sweet scent of the Rosemary oil 30 minutes before the meal.
10. Frankincense Essential Oil
The calming effect of Frankincense essential oil is beneficial for weight loss. This helps to reduce depression and anxiety which is necessary for weight loss through a reduction in craving for food and appetite.
The therapeutic properties of this essential oil are like a health tonic for boosting the functioning of bodily systems. This oil is useful for activating digestive enzymes for the better absorption of vitamins and nutrients that strengthen the immune system.
Frankincense essential oil improves metabolism and secretion of acids, gastric juices, and bile. All these health benefits from this oil are great for increased fat burning and reduction in body weight.
You can make use of Frankincense essential oil for weight loss in the following ways:
- Dilute this oil in olive or coconut oil and apply on fat accumulated areas of the body.
- You can drink 3 drops of this oil diluted in 1 cup of warm water.
- Use Frankincense essential oil in a warm water bath.
- You can add a few drops to this oil in cooking oil.
The Bottom Line
Most of the essential oils have some effects or others for helping you lose weight. However, out of the Top 10 oils I have discusses above and others I have not, I would recommend you to use cinnamon oil, grapefruit oil, ginger oil, and frankincense as the best essential oils for weight loss. You can use them as blended or individually.
Three effective ways to use these oils for fat loss are through ingesting them in warm water or juices, topically applying it on the body or by using them in aromatherapy. You can simply diffuse the essential oil in the bedroom or office room to get them inhaled.
Essential oils have been in use since 100s of years. You can find numerous remedies with essential oils. If you are obese or overweight, you can certainly include essential oils for weight loss in your diet program.