Acne is the most common skin issue that most people experience in life.
Acne lesions occur mostly on the face, neck, back, chest, upper arms and shoulders. It is characterized by blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and deeper lumps (cysts or nodules). Acne scars and blemishes can also become a lasting skin issue for people prone to hyper-pigmentation.
The reasons of acne in different locations of the body depend on particular health conditions and lifestyle habits of the individuals.
Acne on chest, neck, and back usually happens to adults. It is quite different from the acne on the face that most people usually get.
Chest and neck are conspicuous parts of the body; keeping them free of acne scars and blemishes is important for the beauty and attractive look of an individual. If you have ugly acne scars on chest and neck, it can make you feel embarrassed to wear the fashionable dresses and casual wears that reveal your chest and neck.
In this article, we are going to discuss in detail how you can get rid of acne on chest, neck, and back. Here we shall be mostly concentrating on easy removal of chest acne with simple home remedies and popular non-prescription OTC products; also simple and practical steps for preventing chest acne.
- What Causes Chest Acne?
- How To Get Rid Of Chest Acne With Natural Remedies
- Regular Treatments For Chest Acne
- 10 Ways To Prevent Acne On Your Chest
- 1. Avoid Dairy Products
- 2. Drink More Water
- 3. Eat Healthy Diets
- 4. Wear Linen Or Cotton Clothes
- 5. Avoid Stress And Tension
- 6. Engage In Physical Exercises
- 7. Improve Your Personal Hygiene
- 8. Avoid Oil and Chemical Based Skin Care Products
- 9. Keep Your Beddings Clean
- 10. Do Not Pick And Scratch The Inflamed Acne
- Tips For Disguising The Acne
- The Bottom Line
What Causes Chest Acne?
The causes of chest acne mostly have its origin in diet and lifestyle habits of the individual. Understanding the reasons for acne will help you to adopt the best remedies and preventive methods to get rid of it.
There are different types of chest acne which have a few verities of causes active behind them. Let us now look at some of the general reasons that usually give rise to chest acne.
1. Clogged Skin Pores
Clogged sebum and sweat glands are chief causes of acne on chest .
2. Sleep Deprivations
Lack of sleep will promote stress which leads to the increase of a steroid hormone called Cortisol in the body. Cortisol, in turn, causes the skin to secrete more sebum, which results in acne
3. Allergic Reactions
4. Excessive Stress And Tension
A few of the researchers have assigned stress as one of the reasons for chest acne. Stress directly does not impact acne, but it destabilizes the healthy levels of hormones in the body which in turn increases the production of sebum. Acne caused by stress appears as pimples on the chest and the back along the spine. However, there is a need for more studies to elucidate the connection between chest acne and stress.
5. Poor Hygiene
Lack of attention to elementary personal hygiene is often a cause of acne on chest.
6. Immune Deficiency
Some people get acne on chest because of severe immune deficiency and diabetic conditions.
7. Tight Outfits And Innerwear
The red pimples on chest usually happen to individuals who wear clothes that are very tight. Wearing tight clothes deprive your body of ventilation and cause violations of thermoregulation. Acne in forms of red pimples usually appears around surrounding areas of women’s breasts.
8. Poor Diet Habits
Some people experience increasing incidences of acne on chest and back when they have too much of acne promoting foods. Dairy products, soy, bread, sugar, coffee, and edible oils are some of the commonly used foods that may trigger chest acne.
9. Hormone Imbalances
Hormone imbalance in the body can cause the irregular production of sebum and weak local immunity. Many women do get acne on chest because of hormonal imbalance that happens due to pregnancy, lactation, menopause, menstrual disorders and hyperthyroidism.
How To Get Rid Of Chest Acne With Natural Remedies
Natural remedies are the safest and effective treatment for chest acne. They are inexpensive and easy to use them in the comfort of your home.
However, you need to be patient and regular with natural remedies for they take a little longer time to start working.
Let us now look at 7 popular and proven home remedies that can help in chest acne removal.
1. Baking Soda
Exfoliation is beneficial for the reduction of chest acne flare ups. When it comes to skin exfoliation, there is no home remedy better than the Baking Soda for doing a perfect work. Baking soda solution helps in removing the dead skin tissues and excess sebum that clogs the skin pores.
Directions For Use:
- Prepare baking soda lotion (Baking Soda 10 grams and 40 ml warm water);
- Apply the solution to the acne affected areas of the chest;
- Wash off the application after 10 minutes with warm water;
- Repeat the exfoliation twice a week.
2. Lemon Juice
The acetic acid in lemon juice helps to eliminate the bacteria that cause chest acne. The lemon juice also purifies and cleanses the clogged pores of the skin.
Directions For Use:
- Cut a fresh lemon into two pieces;
- Run the open portion of the cut lemon on the acne affected areas of the chest;
- Wash the chest with water after 2 hours of the treatment;
- Repeat the treatment once a day for two weeks.
Directions For Use:
- Take 50 grams of cooked oatmeal;
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice and honey in the oatmeal and blend them well;
- Apply the oatmeal paste on the acne affected areas on the chest;
- Rinse the chest using warm water after 30 minutes of the treatment;
- Repeat the Oatmeal treatment once a day for 10 days.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic content in Apple Cider Vinegar is beneficial for eliminating the bacteria that causes the acne. ACV also helps in balancing the pH level of the skin; right Alkaline level in the skin helps to prevent the acne causing bacteria.
Directions For Use:
- Take one tablespoon of ACV;
- With a cotton ball apply the ACV on the chest;
- Wash the chest with fresh water after 30 minutes;
- Repeat the ACV treatment twice daily.
Toothpaste irritates the skin, and this can help in the peeling of acne. It also contains anti-bacterial properties that can gradually destroy the bacteria that promote chest acne.
Directions For Use:
- Apply the toothpaste on acne affected areas on the chest;
- Leave the application on chest for the overnight healing of acne;
- Wash the chest with fresh water in the morning;
- Repeat the treatment till acne on chest disappears.
- Warning: Careful of the allergic effects it might produce for some.
6. Cinnamon And Honey
The antimicrobial properties in Cinnamon are beneficial for getting rid of the bacteria which is responsible for chest acne. Honey has antibiotic qualities beneficial for reducing the chest acne.
Directions For Use:
- Dilute 3-5 grams of cinnamon powder in the 15 ml honey;
- Apply the honey lotion on the acne affected areas of the chest;
- You can wash off the applied honey after 30 minutes;
- Repeat the treatment once a day.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera contains soothing properties which are excellent for healing itchy acne and it also helps to remove the acne flakes. This is also used for getting rid of the acne scars on the chest.
Directions For Use:
- Take 1 ounce of fresh Aloe Vera juice;
- Use the fresh Aloe Vera juice to massage the chest;
- Let it stay on the skin for at least 30 minutes before you wash it off;
- Repeat the treatment twice daily.
Regular Treatments For Chest Acne
Let us now look at some of the commonly used mainstream treatments for the removal of chest acne.
a) Using Exfoliating Cleanser
Try to exfoliate the chest skin in the acne affected area with an exfoliating glove and a cleanser containing 2% Salicylic acid. It is better to select a soap containing the Salicylic acid for scrubbing the chest. You have to gently scrub the chest so as not to irritate the acne or deplete the natural skin oil. Repeat this treatment once a day when you have the shower.
You can also use other exfoliation creams or lotion. Exfoliation is beneficial for clearing the clogged skin pores and reducing excess sebum in the skin tissues.
b) Using Benzoyl Peroxide
Benzoyl peroxide is one of the best prescription medicines for getting rid of the bacteria that cause acne on chest. It helps in peeling off the dead skin layers and drying out the acne eruptions.
c) Apply A ‘Zit Zapper’ Cream Topically
Apply on the chest a ‘zit zapper’ cream that contains up to 2% of salicylic acid. You can smear the cream on the acne affected skin area on the chest; this helps to dry out the acne quickly.
d) Using Aspirin Paste
Aspirin tablet contains Salicylic acid beneficial for healing the acne and remove the inflammation caused by it. You can use crush two Aspirin tablets and add it to a mixture of 1 teaspoon each honey and water.
e) Using Mandelic Acid Mask
Apply a Mandelic acid mask on the chest 15 minutes before you have your daily shower. It is effective to use an acne wash to rinse off the mask. Alternatively, you can also use clay or charcoal mask which contains Mandelic acid or tea tree oil.
10 Ways To Prevent Acne On Your Chest
If you are highly prone to get acne on chest, neck, and back, then you can take preventive steps to stop the future occurrences of acne. Here are some of the precautionary measures you can adopt for keeping acne at bay:
1. Avoid Dairy Products
Hormones from the cows are present in the dairy product which stimulates the skin oil glands and lead to the excessive production of sebum. If you have to take milk, then it should only be the skim milk.
2. Drink More Water
Your skin needs at least 8 to 12 cups of water daily to keep it well hydrated. But do not substitute your water intake with unhealthy drinks like sugary beverages, sodas, or juices as they also trigger acne. Sugary drinks cause a spike in insulin which gives rise to the production of pimple-causing hormones.
3. Eat Healthy Diets
Eat more of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains and foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. It is better to avoid foods rich in unhealthy fats, sugar, and oil. You should include green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, fish, and cereals in your daily diet.
Avoid eating fried foods and junk foods; they are extremely dangerous for acne.
4. Wear Linen Or Cotton Clothes
Linen and cotton are the most breathable fabrics. They allow the sweat to evaporate quickly without forming a layer of sweat and dust on the chest which can clog the skin pores and cause growth bacteria.
Wearing tight clothes increases the friction on the chest and irritates the acne.
5. Avoid Stress And Tension
Excessive stress leads to the increased production of hormones that adversely affect acne. The cells that produce sebum become unregulated when the person is undergoing a lot of stress. It is also important to have a good sleep and rest to reduce the occurrence of acne.
6. Engage In Physical Exercises
Participating in regular exercises helps in improving blood circulation and relieves stress. However, you should have a good shower after the exercises to cleanse the body of sweat and dust accumulation in skin pores.
7. Improve Your Personal Hygiene
Unhygienic habits of people are one of the reasons for acne in most people. Always keep your body clean. Do not touch your chest with unclean hands otherwise this might increase the bacterial activities that cause acne on chest.
8. Avoid Oil and Chemical Based Skin Care Products
Skincare products like body lotions, deodorants, talcum powder and skin creams must be free of harmful chemicals and oils. Some of these skincare products make the skin pores to get clogged, and this aggravates the acne eruptions on the chest.
9. Keep Your Beddings Clean
Unclean bed sheets and pillow cases are breeding ground for bacteria which aggravates the acne attack on chest and rest of the body. Do not use bed sheets and pillow cases for more than a week without washing them.
10. Do Not Pick And Scratch The Inflamed Acne
All types acne become severe and spread further when they are constantly scratched or picked. Similarly, after touching the acne on the face with your fingers, do not touch with the same fingers on other parts of the body like the chest or neck.
Tips For Disguising The Acne
If you have acne on chest and neck, you might find it embarrassing to wear dresses that reveal your neck and chest. Here are a few tips for hiding the acne scars on the chest and neck:
- Apply a concealer makeup that contains the salicylic acid; preferably one shade darker than your skin complexion.
- Dab the acne marks with Q-Tip soaked in ‘eye drops,’ this helps to reduce the inflammation and redness.
- Dust your chest with talcum powder; preferably use the herbal talcum powders that do not contain chemical substances that irritate the acne.
- Apply foundation cream that matches your skin complexion.
- Use Calamine lotion to cover up the acne spots; choose the one that has color matching to your skin.
- Wear cotton or linen clothes that have upper color.
The Bottom Line
It is not difficult to get rid of acne on chest and neck. It calls for personal care and a little patience to use any of the natural remedies repeatedly for a couple of days.
To eliminate the chest acne, you should be able to discover the reasons that are particularly responsible for your acne and weed them out.
If all your personal efforts to heal the acne do not yield fruit, you should take the help of a dermatologist. Start using the prescription creams and medications recommended by the doctor that will give a definite solution to your acne problem.
If you are not sure about the making of DIY recipes for acne, it might damage your skin and even aggravate the acne. If you are unsure about the natural remedies, then you should consult your doctor before using them.
- Coconut Oil For Acne Scars – Best Scar Removal Remedies
- 7 Natural Acne Remedies (My Favorite Is 5)
- How To Get Rid Of Pimples Fast With Simple Home Remedies?
- How To Get Rid Of Whiteheads From Face And Nose Fast (stanthony+)