- How To Get Rid Of Spider Veins Naturally?
- 1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Remedy
- 2. Lemon Essential Oil Treatment
- 3. Cayenne Pepper Remedy
- 4. Butcher’s Broom For Spider Veins
- 5. Witch Hazel For Spider Veins
- 6. Horse Chestnut Seeds For Spider Veins
- 7. Gotu Kola For Spider Veins
- 8. Ginkgo Biloba For Spider Veins
- 9. Bilberry For Spider Veins
- 10. Foods, Spices And Oils For Spider Vein
- Tips For Prevention And Removal Of Spider Veins
- The Bottom Line
You are probably looking for few easy natural ways to get rid of the ugly looking spider veins.
We have extensively researched to discover the best natural remedies for you. Luckily, there are incredible number of natural remedies that will certainly help you to remove all symptom of telangiectasias troubling your vein.
If you see web-like vein formations (usually blue or purple in color) on any part of your body, do not panic and worry over it. It is usually harmless and disappears gradually on its own.
However, some people do have regular issues with spider veins which do not go away that easily and new ones keep appearing at the same time. It might even cause skin irritation like itching, burning and painful swelling.
Luckily, there are several natural remedies for spider veins. Most of these home remedies for varicose and spider veins are proven remedies in use for centuries.
There are also laser treatment and prescriptions medicines to remove varicose and spider vein issues.
In this article, we shall briefly discuss some of the best natural remedies and useful tips on how to get rid of this vascular disease.
What Are Spider Veins?
Spider veins (telangiectasias) are twisted red, purple, and blue vessels seen mostly on legs, hands and face. They could appear in any specific part of the body where excess pressure on veins is regularly exerted (1).
Varicose veins are larger, raised and swollen with twists and turn, whereas the spider veins are thin webs under the skin.
They appear like a spider-web just below the surface of the skin. Although they appear to be an ugly cluster of blue or purple colored vein, they do not cause any serious health hazards.
You can get rid of spider veins with natural remedies or mainstream medical treatment. Treating spider vein is not a medical necessity but most people like to have spider-vein-free beautiful skin.
Commonly followed medical treatments for it are endovenous laser, sclerotherapy, laser therapy, vein surgery and radiofrequency ablation. These expensive medical treatments are required only if you have a severe occurrence of spider vein (2).
According to certain estimates, about 55% of women and 45% of men get spider vein at least once in a lifetime (3).
So far there is no evidence that suggests why do some people get it and others don’t. According to the existing medical theories, spider vein occurs to most people because of genetics, high pressure on veins or the hormones estrogen and progesterone. Most pregnant woman do get spider vein, and others who take oral contraceptive or hormone replacement therapy may also experience it (4,5).
How To Get Rid Of Spider Veins Naturally?
You will be surprised to see a broad range of natural remedies for getting rid of spider veins. Most of these remedies are meant for external application and quite inexpensive in comparison to the laser treatments.
Let us look at best 1o natural remedies that are popular and effective.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Remedy
According to one of the recent study reports, the external application of apple cider vinegar on varicose veins increased the effect of conservative treatments. After 3 months of daily application of ACV, the patients in the study group who applied the AVC found a substantial decrease in symptoms of varicose and spider veins without any side effects.
Usage Direction: Apply the ACV with a cotton ball on the area with spider vein, repeat it twice a day and continue till the spider vein has totally disappeared. Do not apply the ACV directly on the facial skin without diluting it with water.
Drink ACV: Drinking 1 teaspoon of ACV (mixed in 1 glass of water) twice a day is beneficial in reducing the inflammation of the spider veins. This will also help in improving the blood circulation (6).
2. Lemon Essential Oil Treatment
Lemon essential oil is good for strengthening the capillary walls of the blood vessels and reduces the pain and swelling associated with spider veins.
3. Cayenne Pepper Remedy
Cayenne pepper is a powerful natural remedy for spider vein. The capsaicin and flavonoids abundantly present in it help to increase the blood flow and eases the pain and skin irritation that might happen with spider veins (7).
Capsaicin from cayenne pepper is often used as an important ingredient in herbal blends as it fortifies the effectiveness of other herbs.
According to one of the herbal studies, the efficacy of Ginkgo biloba (another herbal remedy for swollen veins) increased by 75% when Capsaicin was included in the diet or as an ingredient in the herbal blend.
Usage Directions: Take a ¼ teaspoon of grounded cayenne pepper and mix it in a cup of water, and drink it daily once. Another method is to include cayenne pepper as an ingredient in different dishes you daily prepare.
4. Butcher’s Broom For Spider Veins
Butcher’s broom is well known for its medicinal value. It is a very commonly used ingredient in several herbal blends used for treating various diseases.
The ‘ruscogenins’ compound in butcher’s broom is excellent for reducing the inflammation caused by spider veins, improves the elasticity of the veins, and clears the blood congestion in veins. Ruscogenin (Ruscus aculeatus) also helps to improve blood circulation and collagen production (8).
Usage Directions: Take 300mg butcher’s broom supplements once a day. You can find several reputed brands of this supplement in OTC.
5. Witch Hazel For Spider Veins
Witch hazel is one of the best known natural remedies for spider veins. The anti-inflammatory and astringent properties in this herb help to remove the blood congestion that causes spider veins. In the case of varicose veins, the tannins and volatile oils present in witch hazel constrict the enlarged veins to normal size (9).
Witch hazel is your answer to ‘how to get rid of varicose veins on legs’; apply this herbal extract and you will experience the difference soon.
Usage Directions: You can directly apply a few drops of witch hazel extract with a cotton ball on the skin area that has spider veins. You can boil a bunch of witch hazel leaves and use this water for doing a compress (cold/lukewarm) on the affected areas of the skin.
6. Horse Chestnut Seeds For Spider Veins
If you are wondering how you can remove the spider veins, certainly you must try the horse chestnut seed and witch hazel extract combination.
The horse chestnut seeds contain natural compounds that help in inhibiting the enzymes that can damage the capillary walls; also strengthens the veins.
Some studies claim that by taking horse chestnut seed extract containing 16% to 20% of the chemical aescin aids in getting rid of the symptoms of poor blood circulation that result in varicose veins, spider veins and other diseases (12).
Usage Directions: Make a mixture of tincture of horse chestnut and distilled witch hazel – use 10 parts of witch hazel to 1 part of horse chestnut. Gently apply the mixture lotion with a cotton ball to the spider vein affected areas of the skin. You can also get horse chestnut cream and use that on the swollen or webbed veins.
7. Gotu Kola For Spider Veins
Spider veins natural treatment with Gotu Kola is a widely used remedy to remove the blood pools in the legs. It works well for varicose vein and spider veins.
According to some of the study reports, Gotu Kola may help reduce swelling and improve blood flow which is good for congested vein issues like spider vein.
Usage Direction: Drink Gotu kola tea made of its dried leaves and drink 1 cup each three times a day Or take the capsules (180-250 mg) two times a day. (Warning: Do not take Gotu Kola extract for more than 6 weeks continuously as it may cause some liver problems.)
8. Ginkgo Biloba For Spider Veins
The use of Ginkgo Biloba extract is a perfect solution to your quest on how to get rid of spider veins naturally. The herb contains excellent natural properties that help in strengthening the tissues of the blood vessels (15).
It relieves the pain and swelling caused by varicose and spider veins by widening and relaxing blood vessels to regulate the smooth flow of blood.
Usage Directions: Take 120-240 mg of Ginkgo biloba extract per day; in two or three small doses per day. For the best results, get the supplement that contains 50:1 standardized ginkgo extract.
9. Bilberry For Spider Veins
Bilberry is one of the best home remedies for spider veins. The bilberry extract can promote increased blood circulation and reduce the inflammation in the blood vessels. It works well for healing spider veins as the herb is rich in bio- flavonoids, proanthocyanidins, tannins, and phenolic acids that aid to remove blood congestion and strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
Usage Direction: You can have 20-40mg of bilberry extract three times a day. You can also have bilberry tea instead of the extract, but do not use the pine bark and extract supplements at the same time. Do not continue with bilberry extract supplement for more than 6 weeks as it can have side effects on health.
10. Foods, Spices And Oils For Spider Vein
- Ginger: Improves blood circulation, reduces blood pressure and make the blood thinner. Include ginger in your daily diet
- Bioflavonoids Foods: Include in your daily diet food that contains bioflavonoids which strengthen the blood vessels and maintains the structural integrity of the veins. Foods such as Red Bell Peppers, Strawberries, Citrus Fruits, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Garlic, Green tea, and Spinach contain a lot of bioflavonoids.
- Olive Oil: Massage spider vein affected areas with olive oil which helps to increase the flow of blood and reduces pain and inflammation.
- Garlic: Removes toxins from the blood vessels and improves blood circulation. Add garlic in your foods, drink garlic juice or just chew and eat few cloves of garlic daily.
- Coconut Oil: Use coconut oil to massage legs and other spider vein affected areas of the skin. This helps to relieve pain and swelling and promotes the smooth flow of blood.
- Essential Oils: Essential Oils are among the top most natural remedies for spider vein. In fact, most of the essential oils and oil blends help to get rid of spider veins with multiple health benefits. Just read through another post on this blog: essential oil for spider veins and varicose veins to find more details.
Here I would like to bring to a few important “DOs & DON’Ts required for managing the spider veins effectively. These suggestions are definite answers to your question, ‘how you can eliminate the spider veins?’
- Manage Your Body Weight: Obesity is one of the major reasons for spider veins. Eat healthy and balanced diet and do regular physical exercise to prevent spider veins
- Don’t Sit Or Stand Continuously: Sitting or standing continuously for long hours exert undue pressure on veins. Do not sit with crossed over legs as it curtails the free flow of blood.
- Improve Blood Circulation: Engage in physical exercises and eat flavonoid-rich foods for improving blood circulation. If you have spider veins on legs, keep the legs raised while sleeping or sitting.
- Wear Compression Stockings: Wearing compression stockings aids to improve the blood circulation by squeezing the legs.
- Massage The Affected Area: Oil massaging the spider veins affected areas improves the blood circulation in blood congested veins.
- Eat Antioxidant-Rich Diets: Antioxidants helps to improve the health of veins by preventing inflammation in blood vessels.
- Eat Spicy Foods: Include in your diet ginger, cayenne pepper, and garlic, as this will help to improve the blood circulation and to break down fibrin which causes the formation of a hard substance around your varicose veins.
- Avoid Alcohol And Smoking: Regular intake of alcohol makes the veins dilate over a period.
- Balance Salt Intake: Salt intake in excess paves the way for spider veins.
- Wear Regular Footwear: Do not wear high heel and stilettos footwear as they put you in unnatural positions that prevent the free flow of blood.
- Use Sunscreen: Direct exposure to the sunshine aggravates the conditions of spider veins; protect your skin from UVA rays of the sun by wearing sunscreen creams or lotions.
- Drink Water: Drinking enough water keeps your body well hydrated and beneficial for flushing out toxins from your body.
The Bottom Line
Spider veins are a common problem that is faced by nearly 50% of the adult population all over the world. It is not a bothersome health issue that requires necessary medical attention.
However, the ugly appearance of webbed veins on your body dooms your physical appearance. And for some people, spider veins can become swollen, painful and itching. Natural medicines are the best remedy for spider veins.
Hope this article has adequately answered your question ‘how to get rid of painful spider veins naturally.’ Please share your thought on this topic in the comment section below.