More than 60% of women will face ‘dark armpit skin issues’ and among this, a few could experience deep dark patches in armpits that are ugly and stops them from wearing sleeveless dresses. Don’t be disheartened if you are one of them.
Stop worrying and asking why my armpits dark!
You can easily prevent and get rid of dark armpit with little efforts and care.
Here, let us discuss 3 important issues:
- Causes For Dark Armpit
- How to prevent the darkening of underarms
- Underarms Whitening With Natural Remedies
Main Reasons For The Darkening Of Armpit
The causes that lead to the development of dark underarms are many and varied. It is the lack of care and awareness of skin care that leads to the discoloration of underarms’ skin.
- Shaving: The razor blades do not remove the hairs completely and leave the dark cut ends (roots) of the hair above the skin surface and may also cause Ingrown Hairs. Razor blades also inflict numerous tiny cuts on the skin that leads to dark pigmentation over the area and makes the skin coarser. 
- Deodorants: Most of the deodorants have harsh chemicals. Regular usage of DEO will gradually damage soft skin tissues in the armpit that causes discoloration of the skin.[2,3]
- Dead Skin Tissues: The dead skin tissue turns black always. Armpit is shaped in such a way that the dead skin tissues have enough room to remain deposited there.
- Acanthosis Aigricans: It is a skin condition of brown to black, poorly defined, velvety hyperpigmentation of the skin. Pigmentation due to Acanthosis Aigricans usually takes place in skin folds; especially armpits, groin, and neck.
- Synthetic Clothing: Dark underarms can be caused by friction between cloth and skin. The chance of this friction is very high with peoples who are wearing tight-fitting clothes made of synthetic materials.
- Erythrasma Infection: It is the bacterial infection of the skin that commonly occurs in skin folds. Erythrasma affected areas of the skin turn dark or brown due to the pigmentation that follows it.
- Chemical Bleaching & Waxing: Many of us are very oblivious to the long-term side effects of skin bleaches and waxes that have harsh chemicals in them. Some of these bleaching solutions are so powerful that they not only lighten or remove the hairs but also damage the delicate skin tissues. Underarm skin is very sensitive and susceptible to damage and discoloration.
Simple Ways To Prevent Darkening of Armpits
As we have said before, most of the instances of dark armpit are because of poor skincare awareness and protection initiative.
Most of the women limit their skin care only to the face and arms do not give sufficient attention to hidden and delicate areas like armpit, groins, elbows, knees, etc.
There is no doubt that prevention is better than cure. With little care and attention, you can prevent the occurrence of discoloration of underarms. Below given are some the simple steps that you can adopt for this:
- Stop using razors to shave the underarms hairs. It is better to use tweezers to remove your underarm hairs instead of the razors. You can also think of permanent hair removal with natural waxing done by an expert cosmetologist.
- Stop using deodorants under the armpit as the harsh chemicals in it gradually gets deposited in the pores of the armpit leading to the damage of the skin tissues. Alternatives to deodorants are an application of lemon juice or organic DEOs.
- Better to avoid using tight-fitting, synthetic clothes, especially those which are causing severe friction in the armpit area.
- Deep cleanse the armpit regularly with the help of a good organic body wash to avoid any bacterial infection in the armpit.
5 Home Remedies For Getting Rid Of Dark Underarms
Underarm whitening is possible with the help of simple home remedies. Only when the simple natural remedies are not responding to the underarm skin lightening, then you may think of using good quality natural skin lightening creams like Meladerm to get rid of the dark armpit.
Let us look a few of well-known home remedies that are proven to lighten underarms.
1. Pure Baking Soda For Getting Rid Of Dark Armpit
Baking soda is a proven home remedy for dark armpit. This treatment works extremely well when the dead skin tissues cause the discoloration in the armpit.
Pure baking soda has deep cleansing and exfoliating effect on the skin. It removes all the dead skin tissues from the armpit.
This is also good for the oxidation as it clears the clogged pores. You can also get rid of
As for usage, take sufficient amount of baking soda (20gms) and knead it into a paste with the help of clean water. This paste must be gently applied to the underarms and leave it for 20 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water or organic body wash.
It is good to repeat this process 3 to 4 times a week until you see satisfactory results.
2. Lemon Juice Extract For Underarm Whitening
Lemon juice extract is an excellent home remedy for several health issues. Lemon is rich in natural alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA) and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), both are good for skin bleach and deep pores cleansing.
The ascorbic acid readily available in lemon helps the skin to produce collagen which removes the
The therapeutic ingredients in lemon juice extract have a powerful antiseptic and antibacterial agent.
The acid contained in lemon gradually lightens the darkening pigmentation of the skin. It also removes the foul odor in the armpit. In fact, it is highly recommended, instead of the chemical based deodorants, to apply the lemon extract daily in the armpit to avoid foul odor.
As for the application, you can directly rub the sliced lemon into the armpit while squeezing it gently to extract the juice.
However, the skin whitening results can be greatly enhanced, if the pure lemon juice is mixed with equal amounts of turmeric powder, honey, and plain yogurt. Kneed these four ingredients into a paste and gently apply the paste underarms.
Wash off the applied paste with clean water after 20 minutes.
If you are using lemon juice extract alone, it may make your skin dry, and thus, you have to use a good organic moisturizer to prevent dryness of the skin.
3. Orange Peel Extract For Armpit Whitening
Usually, the orange peels everyone casually throws in the waste bin. Little do most people know the excellent medicinal richness hidden in those orange peels.
Orange peels are rich in pantothenic acid, folate and ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) which are excellent for skin bleaching and collagen development. These are power ingredients than whiten the underarm skin through exfoliation and pigmentation removal.
For this underarm skin whitening treatment, we use the dried and powdered orange peels (you can prepare it at home or available to buy this in beauty shops).
For best results, you can take 4 teaspoons of orange peel powder and mix it with an equal measure of milk and rose-water and kneed the mixture into a paste.
The paste needs to be gently applied underarm by massaging in a circular motion over the area. You can wash off the applied paste with clean water after 20 minutes.
If this process is repeated daily for a couple of weeks, you will find that the discoloration has gone and the color of your underarm skin is the same as your rest of the body skin texture.
Another good benefit of this remedy is the pleasant aroma of rose petal water and orange that will keep lingering around you. You can surely stop using DEO for the day after this therapy.
4. Cucumber Juice Extract To Whiten Underarms Fast
There is nothing to worry about how to whiten underarms fast. The humble cucumber in your home kitchen backyard can help you easily in this matter.
As for the usage, you can slice the cucumber is short round pieces and directly scrub it in your underarms.
However, the underarms skin lightening effects will be greater if you can extract the cucumber juice with the help of juice crusher and mix 4 teaspoons of cucumber juice with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder. Make it into a paste and apply in the armpits. After 20 minutes you can wash off the applied paste with the help of lukewarm water.
Repeat this process once a day for a few weeks and you will find the underarms’ discoloration has totally vanished.
5. Coconut Oil Therapy For Underarms Skin Lightening
Coconut oil is a very good natural remedy that helps a lot in moisturizing and lightening the underarm skins. This natural oil is an essential ingredient in several natural health remedies. Unlike the other oils, it does not clog the skin pores or promote bacterial infection.
It is rich in caprylic acid and Vitamin E which are excellent for exfoliation and skin rejuvenation. Coconut oil also keeps the skin supple and glowing.
Almost all mild skin discoloration issues can be rectified only by using this oil. But if the darkening is chronic and rampant then you may have to use it in tandem with baking soda or lemon juice extract therapies mentioned above.
You can apply Coconut oil and leave it overnight to get deeply absorbed into the skin. If you feel uncomfortable with the slight stickiness of the oil, then you may gently wash it off after 20 minutes.
It could be used after you have administered anyone of the other remedies we have mentioned above to get rid of dark underarm fast.
Coconut oil also works well for common psoriasis, acne, eczema and hair loss, dry skin, etc. Olive oil is another good natural oil that is good for skin lightening.
The Bottom Line
Natural remedies are the best answer to the question ‘how to lighten underarms.’ All of the five natural remedies above work excellently well to get rid of dark underarms. It is true that all natural remedies work at a little slower pace than prescription medicines and creams. But they are free of all side effects and affordable for all.
You need to be a little patient and consistent with these remedies to get the best results out of them.
There are also many other home remedies that you can try…. Potato Juice Extract and Milk Therapy are other two prominent ones.
If you notice, all these treatments have a lot of similarities. The acids present in all of them are the major reason for their effectiveness.
Choose any of the treatment solution mentioned above, the one that is more convenient and easy to use. You should take every possible care to keep your underarms free of discoloration.
You deserve to be the good-looking woman with the exuberance of confidence and happiness filling your life and family. Start the dark underarms removal remedies from today.