If you have hair that forms into a mass of small, tight curls or tufts, it is nothing but frizzy hair. How to tame frizzy hair is a serious concern that bothers many. Here we are going to discuss the best home remedies and hair care tips which are time-tested solutions for addressing your concern on how to get rid frizzy hair fast.
Frizz on hair gives a curly, dry and dull appearance to the hair instead of a smooth, shiny and defined look.
Every strand of hair is a complex structure with three layers. According to dermatologist Carolyn Jacob, MD, ‘your hairs’ outer layer, the cuticle, looks kind of like a shingled roof. When hair is smooth, those shingles lie flat. But when you run a brush through dry, curly hair, those “shingles” lift.’
Frizz occurs when the cuticle layer of the hair is raised and allows the moisture to pass through and the strands swell. Then the hair looks frizzy and dry; in some people, it may form tight curls as well [1,2].
How To Get Rid Of Frizzy Hair?
By adopting healthy hair-care methods and using a suitable natural remedy can make you overcome the problem of frizzy hair.
There is no need for you to use expensive hair serums or consult a trichologist to remove the curly tufts.
Now let us look at some of the best home remedies that can help you manage your frizzy hair easily. Some of these natural remedies we are going to discuss here will make your hair shiny and bouncy with a natural tinge.
Here are the best 7 home remedies for frizzy hair:
1. Coconut Oil Treatment
The medium chain fatty acids contained in coconut oil is excellent for getting rid of crimpy hair.
Coconut oil hydrates the hair and retains the moisture on the hair for many hours. It is also beneficial for fighting hair loss and improving hair growth.
Using fresh coconut milk is also an effective alternative to coconut oil for hair treatment and growth.
Here is the right treatment you can do for frizzy hair with coconut oil:
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Fine-toothed comb
- Shampoo the hair well;
- After shampooing, remove the excess water from hair;
- Apply the coconut oil based hair conditioner and rinse it off after 3 minutes;
- Dry the hair with the bath towel; if you have long hairs, wrap the towel around the hair for 7 minutes;
- Once the hair is dry brush the hair and get rid of the tangles
- Apply a thin layer of coconut oil on hair and use a round comp to spread the oil evenly till the hair ends. After applying the oil on hair, you may also do a gentle hair massage by running your fingers along strands of hair.
- Repeat the treatment on every alternate day.
2. Avocado And Olive Oil Mask
Using a combination of avocado and olive oil for hair mask is a very effective home remedy for frizzy hair.
Both of them contain good quality fatty acids that help to tame frizzy hair. They are natural hair conditioners which can hydrate and add strength and shine to the hair while removing the coil and crinkle from hair.
- Olive Oil
- Mild shampoo
- Mash an avocado
- Add two tablespoons of olive oil to the pulp
- Whip the mixture
- Shampoo your hair with a mild anti-frizz shampoo
- Apply the avocado mask on the hair
- After 30 minutes rinse your hair in cold water
- Repeat the treatment thrice a week
3. Hot Oil Massage
Hot oil massage is a traditional remedy for frizzy hair treatment.
It is best to use a mixture of two or more oils to get the best results from this treatment; Coconut, Olive, Avocado, Jojoba, Almond oils are the best for hot oil hair treatment. Use any two or more oils of your choice for this treatment.
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Make a mixture of 1-ounce coconut oil and one-half ounce olive oil in a bowl;
- Warm up the oil at a moderate temperature;
- Gently massage the hot oil blend on the hair (full length);
- After 30 minutes of shampoo and condition the hair;
- Repeat the treatment twice a week to tame your frizzy hair.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Apple cider vinegar is one of the effective home remedies for frizzy hair.
Acetic acid present in ACV is good for smoothening and straightening the curl, crinkle, and crease on hair. The ACV also adds fantastic shine and glow to the hair.
ACV helps with counteracting rough or brittle hair and smoothening out the scales or cuticles found on each hair strand.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Shampoo your hair;
- Rinse and pat dry the hair after shampooing;
- Take two tablespoons of ACV diluted an ounce of water;
- Soak your hair in the dilute ACV;
- After 10 minutes rinse your hair in cold water;
- Use a mild or anti-frizz conditioner to condition your hair;
- Repeat the treatment once a week.
Banana is a good alternative to hair conditioners. Applying banana pulp on hair can make the hair look healthy and smooth.
It adds moisture and gives strength to hair.
- One ripe banana (1/2 cup)
- Olive oil
- Mash a ripe banana;
- Add one teaspoon each honey and olive oil to mashed banana;
- Blend the mixture properly;
- Shampoo and pat dry the hair;
- Do a hair mask with the banana mixture;
- After 30 minutes rinse the hair in lukewarm water;
- Repeat this treatment once a week.
Beer has many benefits for both hair and skin. The malt and hops in the beer are rich in protein which helps repair the hair.
The maltose and sucrose contained in beer make the hair shine.
Using beer as a hair conditioner is a great option to stop frizzy hair.
It is possible to enhance the anti-frizz benefits of beer by adding a few drops of essential oils or apple cider vinegar to the beer.
- 1 Cup beer
- Essential oils/Apple cider vinegar
- Take a cup of de-carbonated beer and blend 10ml anti-frizz shampoo/conditioner to it;
- Wash the hair with the beer and shampoo blend
- Keep brushing the hair for a few minutes to let the beer get absorbed into the hair strands;
- After 10 minutes rinse the hair in cold water.
- De-carbonate the beer by keeping the beer in an open bowl overnight;
- Next day, add few drops of essential oils (lemon, lavender, Chamomile, Jojoba, or Almond oil) to the beer. Instead of the oils, 1 ounce of Apple Cider Vinegar could also be added.
- Wash and soak the hair in the beer blended with Essential oils or ACV.
- After 15 minutes rinse the hair with cold water and apply anti-frizz conditioner.
7. Egg White Mask
Egg white mask treatment can make your hair less frizzy.
Hair primarily constitutes of proteins and amino acids and eggs whites which are powerhouses of proteins, vitamins and fatty acids that can nourish and protect the hair.
Applying an eggs white mask on hair makes the hair healthier and shinier.
- 1 egg
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Extract egg white from an egg into bowl;
- Apply the egg white mask on the hair;
- After 20 minutes rinse the hair with water;
- Use an anti-frizz shampoo and condition to wash the hair;
- Repeat the treatment once a week.
Tips To Get Rid Of Frizzy Hair And Prevent Frizz
Frizzy hair is a result of poor hair care. You can get rid of frizzy hair by adopting healthy hair care methods. Here are a few tips worth noting:
- Use natural oils: Use olive oil or coconut oil for regularly massaging your hair.
- Avoid towel drying: After the shower, gently pat dry your hair instead of blow drying or using a towel. Forced towel rubbing on the hair can make them dry and frizz.
- Go alcohol-free. Alcohol can dry the hair out, setting you up for frizz. So look for alcohol-free hair care products, instead use salon-quality shampoos, conditioners, and hairsprays.
- Dry the hair by combing: Brush your hair with a wide-toothed comb to dry your hair after the shower instead of towel drying.
- Use mild shampoo: Use only mild shampoo or conditioner; you can use anti-frizz shampoo and conditioner to be on safer side.
- Weather protection: Protect your hair from extreme weather conditions and environmental pollution; use scarves or hats.
- Stop using hair gadgets: Avoid using hair curlers or other fancy hair gadgets that make the hair frizzy and brittle.
- Do not blow dry: Stop blow drying your hair; exposing hair to hot air regularly make the hair dry and frizzy.
- Ponytail: Doing your long hair into a ponytail or bun hairstyle is the best solution for concealing the frizzy hair.
- Don’t brush dry hair: Brushing not only disrupts your hair’s cuticle but can also stretch and break the hair.
- Use shampoo and conditioner enriched with protein: Use a protein-infused conditioner and shampoo which will add shine and manage the frizzy hair.
- Avoid over-processing of hair: Relaxers and hair straightener will make the hair fragile and prone to breaking.
- Moisturize the hair: Frizzy hair usually becomes dry and coarse, so you need to put moisture to it. You could use a natural conditioner, anti-frizz cream or natural oils to moisturize the hair.
- Use a round brush: Spin a round brush through your hair while blowing or drying the hair. This helps flatten the cuticles and reduce the frizz.
The Bottom Line
Hope this article has given you a fair idea on how to get rid of frizzy hair. Home remedies are the best option to prevent and tame frizzy hair; most importantly, they do not cause any side effects.
However, because of the busy schedules of life, you may not get enough time to follow the natural remedies for frizzy hair. In such cases, you can use over-the-counter products like serums, creams, and anti-frizz shampoos to overcome the problem.