The avocado fruit is termed as ‘superfood’ by the world’s leading diet gurus because of its rich nutritional value.
In recent times, the avocado oil for hair is beginning to receive a lot of attention and interest from all quarters.
I had previously read a lot about the health benefits of avocado fruit and its oil for cooking but little did I knew then the greatness of avocado oil in hair treatment.
There are preliminary observational studies and users’ feedbacks suggest that using avocado oil for hair as a surefire way to improve texture and decrease dryness of hair.
The benefits of this oil for hair are mostly attributed to the great hair growth nutrients present in it. It is beneficial for hair as cooking oil and by externally applying it on hair.
According to a report published in the Osteoarthritis and Cartilage Journal, avocado oil has received a prescription status in France because of its effect in reducing arthritis effects.
What is Avocado Oil?
The avocado oil is extracted from the fruit of the avocado tree.
Interestingly, it is not got from the seeds, unlike most other edible oils. This oil is pressed from the fleshy pulp surrounding the pit of the avocado fruit. It is excellent cooking oil because of its high smoke point, healthy fats, nutrients, and antioxidants contained in it. This oil is equally beneficial for the health of both skin and hair for its good nutritional value and moisturizing capacity.
The lubricant nature of monounsaturated fat in this oil adds shine and moisture to hair.
Just like the ‘superfood’ status that avocado fruit enjoys, the avocado oil also is ranked among the top 5 best cooking oils. Its benefits to health, hair, and skin are very much akin to that of coconut oil.
Studies have found the effectiveness of avocado oil in preventing the development of high cholesterol, high triglyceride levels, development of diabetes and obesity; also good for reducing oxidative stress and adverse effects of arthritis.
This pale green oil can lower heart disease and stroke risks because of the monounsaturated fat in it. The rich amount of Vitamin E present in this oil makes it useful for hair and skin.
Consumption of avocado oil improves the absorption of the nutrients and vitamins, which include the nutrients required for hair growth.
Different Usages of Avocado Oil For Hair
Avocado oil for hair is beneficial in multiple ways. It not only nourishes the hair but also adds shine and beauty to the hair. Here are the main usages of this oil for hair:
- Use It As Wholesome Hair Oil: It is a fantastic hair oil that nourishes and enriches the hair with nutrients and vitamins.
- Using Avocado Oil As Moisturizer: Avocado oil is a good solution to dry and brittle hair. This oil penetrates deep into hair strands and makes the hair strong; forms a cover around each hair strands to retain moisture. The monounsaturated fat in avocado oil is the moisturizing agent.
- Use It For Adding Shine And Volume To Hair: The monounsaturated fat in this oil brings shine and healthy appearance to the hair. It thickens the dry hair with moisture to give an instant increase in the volume of hair.
- Use For Detangling The Hair: If you have long and tangled hair, you can detangle the hair by applying avocado oil to the full length of the hair. Apply this oil before combing the hair; the moisturizing and lubricating effects of the oil loosens the tangles.
- Use Avocado Oil As A Hair Conditioner: Before you start shampooing the hair, add a few drops of avocado oil into the shampoo that you are going to use. It works like a regular conditioner to make your hair rich with moisture and shine.
- Use Avocado For Getting Rid Of Dandruff: Avocado oil contains antifungal properties that can reduce dandruff infection. By mixing a few drops of tea tree oil into the avocado oil that you are going to apply on hair, it is possible to get rid of dandruff within a few weeks time.
Benefits of Avocado Oil For Hair
Nurturing healthy and beautiful hair is important for everyone who cares for personal beauty and appearance. Unfortunately, many of us are faced with excess hair loss and premature graying that leads to the erosion of self-confidence and loss of personal style.
People with hairs also are often faced with problems like dandruff, dry and dull hair, discoloration, split-ends, tangled hair and much more.
Natural oils from plant extracts have been the best solution for all common issues related to hair. Different types of plant oils are being used by people all over the world for thousands of years for nourishing and beautifying the hair.
Avocado oil is one of the best hair oils that help to promote healthy growth of hair and stop hair fall. This oil is also excellent for moisturizing and strengthening the dry and dull hair.
Most hair oils have sticky fats that do not suit all types of hair. However, avocado oil with monounsaturated fat makes the hair healthy and beautiful without leaving a heavy, oily or fatty residue on hair.
This oil is gentle on hair that usually does not cause any skin irritation or discomfort. Even the smell and feel of this oil is nice and comfortable for all.
Avocado oil contains most of the essential hair growth vitamins and nutrients. It has antibacterial properties that can prevent many of the common scalp infections that cause hair loss or stunted growth of hair.
Avocado oil is also a good substitute to regular hair conditioner and shampoo. People’s experience with avocado oil suggests the effectiveness of this oil in preventing premature graying and dryness of hair.
There are several hair treatments for different hair issues that make use of avocado oil as a primary ingredient in combination with essential oils and herbal extracts. For instance, a mixture of avocado oil and tea tree oil is a potential remedy for dandruff and head lice.
[irp posts=”12245″ name=”Avocado Calories, Nutrition And Health Benefits Facts”]
Hair Vitamins In Avocado Oil
One of the leading causes of hair loss in most individuals is poor nutrition and weak hair due to external damages.
Eating foods with avocado oil (as cooking oil or flavoring agent) helps our body to acquire several of the essential vitamins required for the nourishment of hair.
Avocado oil has more amount monounsaturated fat than the olive oil; oils with monounsaturated fat are great for moisturizing and strengthening the hair.
Here are the amounts of different hair growth vitamins (per 100 gram) present in this oil:
- Vitamin A (carotene) 370 -870 mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 08 – 0.16 mg
- Pyridoxine (B6) 19 – 0.26
- Pantothenic acid (B5) 78 – 1.2 mg
- Folic Acid (B9) 022- 0.105 mg
- Ascorbic acid (C) 0 – 13.0 mg
- Niacin (B3) 05 – 2.42 mg
- Biotin (B7) 3 – 4.2 mg
- Vitamin E 8 -4.2 IU
- Thiamine (B1) 08 – 0.125 mg
- Choline 0 – 22.2 mg
The Effectiveness Of Avocado Oil Hair Treatment
The avocado oil is rich in E and B Complex Vitamins that matters a lot for the health of hair and skin. You can use this oil for cooking or flavoring food and as hair oil; both ways it is beneficial for hair.
By massaging this oil onto scalp allows the oil to penetrate deep into the epidermis and activates the follicles; the phytosterols, monounsaturated fat, antioxidants and vitamins E are well absorbed by the hair shafts and scalp.
The monounsaturated fatty acid in avocado oil is a rich nutrient for faster growth of hair.
Avocado oil massage on scalp activates the dormant hair follicles and opens up the pores on the scalp. The massaging of scalp increases the blood flow into the hair roots that helps the hair follicles to receive more nutrients required for the growth of hair.
This oil contains antioxidants and antimicrobial properties that heal infections and prevent inflammations on the scalp.
There is a need for extensive clinical trials and research to unravel the full potential of avocado oil hair treatment; till then we have only the user feedbacks to rely on.
Right Methods To Use Avocado Oil On Hair
There are various methods of using avocado oil for hair, especially in using it in combination with any of the essential oils or beneficial herbal extracts. Here are some of the most popular hair treatments with it:
- Daily massage of scalp with avocado oil is good for improving blood circulation and unblocking the clogged pores on the scalp.
- Apply the cold-pressed avocado oil on the full length of hair to add shine and moisture to hair. It is a best natural alternative to chemical rich hair conditioners.
- Use Avocado oil for flavoring your foods, dressing the salad and cooking your favorite dishes and meat recipes.
- Use this oil along with essential oils such as lavender oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil, etc. Different oil combinations with avocado oil will produce specific hair treatment results.
- Take a teaspoon of glycerin, a slice of vegetable oil soap and one or two tablespoons of avocado oil; mix them well. Applying this mixture on hair will help to moisture the dry hair and make the hair glowing.
Avocado Oil Hair Mask Treatment
If you have dull and dry hair, the avocado hair mask treatment can make a very positive change to your hair.
Dryness of hair can instantly vanish with moistening effect of the monounsaturated fat in avocado oil. This oil also helps to make the hair thick and glossy.
The age-old traditional avocado therapy makes use of the avocado fruits pulp for the hair mask treatment. The oil and fat present in the fruit pulp gives a conditioning effect to the hair. The nutrients present in the avocado fruit nourishes the hair and prevents hair loss.
Doing a hair mask treatment with avocado oil gives a similar effect produced by the fruit mask. This is especially beneficial for getting rid of dryness and dullness in hair.
You can do the avocado oil mask treatment at home by following the below mentioned procedure.
The ingredient required:
- Avocado oil: 2 tablespoons
- Egg white: 1 egg
- Honey: 1 tablespoon
- Olive Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Tea Tree Oil: 5 drops
Stir the ingredient till they turn a thick consistency. Apply the mixture on the scalp and full length of hair with a suitable brush. If you have long hair, bundle up the hair on top of the head and cover your hair with a soft towel to avoid the hair mask spreading onto your neck and clothe.
Let the mask stay on hair for minimum of 30 minutes; then you can rinse hair and scalp with water and mild shampoo. Repeat this hair mask treatment once a week for best results.