Just keep reading this article, and you will find more reasons and better motivation to start running to lose weight and to be healthy.
In this article, we shall also have a look at the best ways to make your running exercise effective and how to avoid wrong running habits that can be bad for health.
Advantages Of Running For Weight Loss
Everyone will agree that running and jogging are the simplest and traditional methods to keep us fit and healthy.
Running not only makes us slim but also increases our stamina and strength.
It is so pleasant and relaxing to do the running or jogging in the morning hours of the day along the country pathways or parks.
I love to run in the morning as it is very refreshing and relaxing.
It is unfortunate that most people who exercise regularly have substituted the running along the pathways with treadmills.
Daily few minutes of running can keep our heart really healthy and can ward off common cardiovascular diseases.
This exercise is the best stress buster. People who run and exercise daily are mentally and physically healthier than the rest.
Running at high speed is not the healthy option for weight loss; we shall look into it later in this article.
Another benefit that you can expect from running or jogging is the toning of physical appearance.
‘Sweating’ while running actually helps in purifying the skin and body. People who run daily for 20 to 40 minutes are more beautiful and healthy.
The Danish researchers reviewed data from the long-running Copenhagen City Heart Study that has tracked about 20,000 men and women between the ages of 20 to 93 since 1976.
The study found that life expectancy increased for an average of 6.2 years on a lifespan of a man, and 5.6 years for a woman who has regularly engaged in jogging or running.
How To Get Best Weight Loss Results By Running?
It is not necessary that running will make you lose fat for some reasons.
If you do not see results with your running exercises, probably your running schedules are not efficient in burning the fat.
Just doing 45 minutes run once in a week or 20 minutes run a couple of times a week is NOT going to make a big difference in fat loss results.
The running exercise is very effective for weight loss when it is combined with 20 minutes of high-intensity calories burning workouts 4 to 5 times a week.
You sweat out a lot after the run, and you are convinced that you have lost at least 500 calories by running. It may not be true at all.
You might not burn calories in substantial amount if your running was short at low speeds.
Usually, a person running for 45 minutes at 10 minutes-per-mile speed is expected to burn about 500 calories.
The best way to track your speed and calories’ burning rate is by using a heart rate monitor. There are many ‘running apps’ for smartphones or FitBit like wearable devices that help you in monitoring your heart beat rates.
Running similar distance at the same speed in a habituated and routine manner will also bring down the calories burning rate in a few weeks time.
When an exercise is done in a routine manner, the body muscles get accustomed to the demands of exertion and soon it will hit a weight-loss plateau.
Best weight loss results from running are possible when it is done at speed intervals and combined with other workouts.
Changes in speed and doing different sets of workouts in combination with running will compel the muscles (at various parts of the body) to consume more calories to meet the energy demands.
Do not make running your only choice of exercising.
If you are looking for maximum fat loss results, certainly you should include strength training and cardio exercises to burn up more calories and boost your metabolism.
Running may not reduce your body weight to a great extent. But it is more effective for fat burning and toning your body.
Since the fat tissues are comparatively lighter in weight, a few pounds of fat appear to be a large body mass. Losing few pounds fat will reduce your belly and waistline size, but not a substantial reduction in body weight.
Here are some basic tips for maximizing the fat loss results from running exercise:
- Always try to have healthy diets with low calories. Let your meals be mostly of quality proteins (lean meat) and green vegetables.
- After running, make sure that you don’t eat high calories food. It is a natural tendency of the body to create urges in you to eat more calories especially when you have burned out a lot of calories while exercising.
- Keep a track record of the foods you eat. If you are not experiencing weight loss results after a few weeks of running; it is obvious that your diet habits need to be changed.
- Keep a running schedule in combination with verities other high-intensity workouts. It is only the steady and persevering efforts with running, and workouts can give you the best weight loss results.
- Weight loss results from running are at a maximum when you integrate speed intervals into your running.
- A scheduled and healthy running routine will also help you to avoid unwanted running injuries.
- Regular running is important to lose weight as it ensures that extra fats in the body are burned off on a regular basis. Rare and occasional running habits also hurt the muscles and joints as your body is not accustomed to irregular exercises schedule.
- It is found that speed intervals in running burn more fat than running at a consistent speed. The best method is to start running at a slow speed for few minutes and then increase speed for the next couple of few minutes. You can repeatedly keep altering the speed after every 4 to 5 minutes.
- For best weight loss results, your running must be combined with a healthy diet. Running in empty stomachs will increase the urge to eat high calories food after the exercise; this will prevent the good fat loss results from your exercise.
Tips For Healthy Running And Jogging
There is no doubt that running is an extremely effective exercise to lose weight and burn more calories.
By 1 kilometer of running, a person burns about 100 calories.
However, you will not get the fast weight loss results that you want from this exercise and can even cause health issues if it is not done wisely. Here are some tips for healthy running and jogging for a healthy and strong body.
Do Not Run Excess Kilometers:
There is a common misconception that more kilometers of run will burn more fats and help in faster weight loss.
Especially if you are a beginner with running exercise, should not run more than 20 minutes daily for a week or two. Increase the distances of running gradually by 2 or 3 minutes more per day. At once running long distances will drain out your energy, and you may face health issues and excessive tiredness.
Do Not Run Too Fast:
When running for weight loss, high-speed running is not the way to follow. It is better to keep the speed at an average rate of 1 kilometer per 10 minutes.
High-speed running will make you exhausted, and you will not be able to run 10 minutes at a stretch.
Sweating Has No Relation To Fat Loss
Some people have the wrong notion that sweating profusely with intense exercises and by doing exercises in humid conditions will help in fat loss. It is not true.
Sweating help in purifying the skin tissues but excess sweating causes dehydration. It is important to have short sips of water at regular intervals if you are sweating profusely.
Do Not Use Energy Drinks And Soft Drinks
Many people have the habit of drinking energy drinks, soda or soft drinks while running. These drinks are very rich in sugar, and it adds more calories to the body than you burn during the exercises. This becomes a counterproductive action in your weight loss efforts.
Always it is good and healthy to drink ordinary water.
Warm-up Before Running
Do not start running at high speeds immediately. It hurts the muscles and joints.
Always make sure you warm up your body by walking and simple workouts before you begin to run.