- How To Get Rid Of Nausea With Natural Remedies
- How To Stop Nausea With Yoga And Acupressure
- How To Help Nausea With Selective Foods?
- How To Cure Nausea Through Exercise And DIY Psychotherapy?
- Best Anti-Nausea Medication
- First Aid Methods To Stop Feeling Nauseous
- The Bottom Line
Do you want to know how to stop feeling nauseous?
It is really simple, and you have a number of alternative treatments to choose from.
Nausea is an unpleasant experience that happens before the bout of vomiting.
Some people experience continuous nauseous feeling accompanied by stomach pain and headache.
If you have recurring strong inclinations to vomit, you could certainly want to know how to ease nausea with natural remedies and other anti-nausea medication.
Especially, if you are traveling or at the midst of an important event, you just want to suppress it somehow.
There are many reasons that cause it, such as food poisoning, dehydration, motion sickness, stress, side effects of medication, sea sickness, acid influx, morning sickness, strong scents, alcoholic reactions or as symptoms of other illness (1,2).
The solutions to help nausea are many; there are several proven medications for nausea which include simple home remedies and psychological techniques.
Occasionally feeling nauseous may not be anything serious. It can be self-cured without making a trip to the doctor. Above all, it is better to avoid strong prescription medicines as much as possible.
You need to visit a doctor if the inclination to vomit lasts more than 48 hours after you have tried a few nausea home remedies.
In this article, we are going to explore what helps nausea and how to ease nausea through alternative remedies.
- Natural Herbal Remedies
- Yoga And Acupressure
- Selective Foods
- Exercise And Psychotherapy
- Aroma Therapy
- Other Preventive Methods
Fortunately, you have numerous natural cures for it. Some of these will certainly work for you, but some others don’t. Try and choose the best remedy that suits you.
How To Get Rid Of Nausea With Natural Remedies
Natural herbal remedies are the best answer to your quest on what helps with nausea. The list is too many. We shall discuss only 10 natural remedies that are most popular and easy to use.
What to do if you feel nauseous? Eat ginger.
Ginger contains natural properties that can increase the secretion of digestive enzymes. This is good for getting rid of excess stomach acids that could cause nausea feeling.
The research report in the book “Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects’ by Ann M. Bode and Zigang Dong, recommends ginger as an excellent remedy for motion sickness.
You can simply chew the ginger roots or drink ginger tea.
It is easy to make ginger tea. Take a 2 inches long ginger root, mash and add this in 2-3 cups of medium-boiling water. After 5 minutes of boiling it, strain the ginger tea into a cup and add a tablespoon of honey. Sip it down slowly.
Lemon also helps in expelling the toxic waste from the stomach that can cause nauseous feeling.
Take a glass of water and squeeze a lemon and add a teaspoon of salt in it.
The salt added in the lemon juice boosts exhausted electrolytes (an essential salt) in the body. This is what to take for vomiting and hydrating the body (5).
You can also directly suck in the lemon juice from the sliced pieces of lemon.
For quick relief, you can rub few drops of peppermint oil with a cotton swab or clean fingertips on your gums and under the tongue (7).
Drinking a cup to peppermint tea helps to suppress vomiting. Take two teaspoons of dried peppermint leaves and add this in a cup of boiling water and allow the mint extracts to dissolve into the water for five minutes. Strain and drink it. You can add a tablespoon of honey into the drink for better taste.
Peppermint has antispasmodic elements in it. It is also useful for relaxing stomach muscles and preventing cramps in the stomach which happens to some while vomiting.
4. Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon tea is a proven solution to your quest on how to cure nausea.
It is easy to prepare cinnamon tea. Add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder in one cup of boiling water. Give 3-5 minutes time for the cinnamon extracts to steep in the water. Then you can strain the tea and slowly sip it down to get relief from nauseous feeling.
According to a 2013-14 study, which had 76 female student participants, cinnamon is effective in reducing nausea and vomiting especially during the menstrual period.
5. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is one of the most ancient medicinal herbs known to humanity. Chamomile tea is what to take for nausea. Chamomile is herbal medicine used for several common ailments including nausea and vomiting (8).
Boil a few fresh leaves of chamomile in 1-3 cups of water, steep for 5 minutes and drink it. You can add a tablespoon of honey in the tea if you wish so.
6. Holy Basil
One of the best things to help with nausea is the holy basil (9).
Mix one teaspoon of holy basil juice with equal amount of honey to check vomiting and soothe the upset stomach.
Chewing a few basil leaves a couple of times a day on a regular basis is effective for preventing consistent attacks of nausea.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a solution to your problem on how to calm nausea.
Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in 8oz of water and drink it. This works best for vomiting tendencies arising out of food poisoning and morning sickness.
Its effectiveness is attributed to the antimicrobial elements present in ACV, though there is NO scientific evidence to support the same (10).
You can relieve nausea quickly by drinking clove tea.
Boil 1 cup of boiling water and add a teaspoon of clove powder in it. Give five minutes for the clove powder to steep in the water and then drink it. Add one teaspoon of honey for better taste.
Chewing one or two clove buds is also effective (11).
Fennel seed is a nausea remedy from Chinese folk medicine
Add one teaspoon fennel seed to 1 cup of boiling water. Allow 10 minutes for fennel seed extracts to steep in water and then strain the water into a cup. Add few drops of fresh lemon juice and one teaspoon honey before you drink it.
Gradually chewing a teaspoon of fennel seed is also helpful.
According to a recent study report, fennel seed herbal medicine is every effective for dysmenorrheal nausea and 3 months continuous usage of this seed is required for the same (12).
10. Baking Soda
Drinking baking soda solution is one of the best natural cures for nausea. Simply mix half a teaspoon of baking soda in one cup of water and drink it.
Gargling with baking soda solution helps to get rid of the unpleasant taste and irritation in the throat after vomiting. For gargling, you can use baking soda mixed in one cup of warm water; also add a teaspoon of salt in it.
How To Stop Nausea With Yoga And Acupressure
Yoga and acupressure are two alternative streams of natural cure therapy that works well for many diseases. In this section, we are going to see how to reduce nausea with these two alternative healing methods.
1. Acupressure Therapy
“Acupressure is an ancient Chinese method that involves placing pressure on any particular area of your body by using fingers or other devices to make you feel better (13).”
Here are the simple steps on how to reduce nausea with acupressure:
- Exert moderate pressure on the P-6 point (inner gate)
- You can use your fingers to excerpt pressure on the P-6 point
- Take your thumb and index finger and firmly press on the points
- Apply pressure on the area for up to 30 seconds continuously
- Do it alternatively on either hand and repeatedly for few times
- Or wear a ‘nausea band’ on the P-6 point area of the wrist
N.B.: The p6 point is located at 2 or 3 finger widths down from the top crease in your wrist. It is at the base of you palm and a groove between two large tendons.
2. Yoga Exercises
Here are some of the best yoga exercises of relieving nausea:
- Simply lie on a yoga mat and keep your legs resting on the vertical wall for 7 minutes continuously. This posture is good for strengthening the muscles in the digestive tracts and increases the blood flow to the brain. This will help to eliminate the feeling of nausea, especially the one caused by indigestion.
- Stretch you back and neck; this helps relieve your feeling nausea. To stretch your back, sit on the floor with legs stretched forward and bend forward your body till your upper body bends at a 45-degree angle or more. Repeat this exercise (back and forth gradual bending) for 7 minutes. To stretch your neck, sit erect on a chair and tilt your head toward one of your shoulders and hold for 15 to 30 seconds; alter tilting the head to either shoulder. Repeat this exercise for 7 minutes.
How To Help Nausea With Selective Foods?
Treating nausea with right kind of foods and drinks are really effective. Let us look at some best diet practices that work like a treatment for nausea.
1. BRAT diet
BRAT diet is best for stopping continuous nausea feeling caused by food poisoning or stomach flu.
It is comprised of:
- Applesauce (without sugar)
2. Milk Toast
Bland foods, especially milk and bread, are good for taming your tummy. The milk forms a thin coating over your colon lines, and bread absorbs the excess acid in the stomach.
It is best to make milk toast to help with nausea and discomfort in the stomach.
The items required are:
- Milk (1 cup)
- Toast (1 Piece)
- Unsalted butter
Spread the unsalted butter on a toasted slice of bread; crumble the toast into warm milk and eat it slowly.
3. Apple Juice
Drink 2oz apple juice after every 1 hour along with ginger ale to cure nausea.
4. Liquid Foods
It is best to have liquid rich foods when you have continuous nauseous feeling and vomiting. Best liquids foods are clear soups, popsicles, jell-O, and vegetable juices. Liquids foods balance the acidity in the stomach and reduce the tendencies to vomit.
5. Eat Berries
Studies have shown the curative power of red raspberries and blackberries to ease the pregnancy nausea and vomiting (14).
6. Banana Diet
Eating bananas are another proven diet that can answer your quest on how to ease nausea.
When you have the stomach flu or indigestion issues, it is best to eat a banana.
7. Sugar Syrup
Consuming 1-2 teaspoons of sugar syrup is an age-old natural supplement to suppress the nauseous feeling and vomiting.
8. Rice Water
Rice water is one of the oldest known natural nausea remedies that is said to be in practice since 150 BC.
Rice water is beneficial for preventing vomiting caused by the by gastritis.
Boil one cup of rice for 20 minutes and then strain the rice water. It is better to drink about 300ml of rice water daily if you have recurring bouts of vomiting.
9. Frozen Lemon
Stop asking yourself, ‘what can I take for nausea?’ By now you already know that lemon and ginger are the simplest and most effective remedies.
If you often face the problem of vomiting, you should always keep few slices of lemon in the freezer. You can directly drink lemon juice by sucking the lemon slices. Frozen lemons have shelf life more than a week or two.
10. Important “DOs and DON’Ts With Foods
Here are some other important food habits that you should be mindful of:
- Eat small quantity of foods but more frequently
- Do not stay hungry or thirsty when you have continuous nauseous feeling; empty stomach makes the situation even worse
- Avoid eating oily and high-fat foods when you have upset stomach
- Avoid foods that are greasy, salty, or spicy
- Better not to have too hot or cold foods
- Drink lots of water and have more of liquid foods
- For most people, apple juice, and flat soda are beneficial in calming nausea
- It is healthy to have a sports drink that contains glucose, salt, and potassium after vomiting.
- Do not lie down immediately after eating; only 40 minutes past.
- Avoid drinking caffeine
- Suck on hard candies to lessen the nausea feeling
- Don’t drink alcohol or smoke
How To Cure Nausea Through Exercise And DIY Psychotherapy?
Perhaps, the best ‘anti-nausea medicine’ is physical exercise and DIY psychotherapy.
Exercises For Preventing Nausea
- Do simple exercises for stretching neck and back for relieving tension causing the queasiness
- Perform exercises that promote optimum circulation of blood all over the body; it helps to prevent dizziness and nausea caused by poor blood circulation
- Do deep breathing exercises to relieve the irritation on the lining of colon that causes nausea
- Perform regular walking and jogging exercises that boost your metabolism and digestive process (do not exercise when you have severe nausea)
There are a few DIY psychological treatments will help you reduce nauseous feeling:
- Divert your attention: Engage in interesting activities or try to concentrate on your work
- Accept the fact that you might throw up and take it easy. Master the fear that aggravates the nausea
- Do not be over worried and vexed as it might only increase the condition
- Listening to your favorite song/music or watching a movie will take away your focus from the issue.
- Call up a friend to share your woes and engage pleasant conversation
- Avoid all activities that involve strain and stress
One of the best nausea cures is aromatherapy.
Pleasant smells of certain leaves, fruits, and essential oils are proven to be effective remedies for nausea, drowning, headache or vomiting.
Here are some of the popular aromatherapies for nausea and motion sickness:
- Inhale the sweet smell of peppermint oil; take a few drops peppermint oil on cotton swab or handkerchief and keep smelling it
- Breathe in the citric fragrance of a lemon; sliced lemon gives the maximum smell
- Smell the lavender essential oil; it works just like the peppermint oil
- Smelling cinnamon sticks or spray help to cure upset stomach and inclination to vomit
- Inhale cinnamon vapor: Add two teaspoons of cinnamon powder in hot water and inhale its vapor; do it when water has cooled down to medium hot
- Put a few drops of Clove essential oil on a handkerchief and inhale it by taking long deep breaths.
- Inhaling Clove Vapor: Add few buds of clove in boiling water and inhale the vapor when it is sufficiently cooled down for inhaling
Best Anti-Nausea Medication
There several effective over the counter anti-nausea medication that works great.
However, it is always better to avoid strong medicines as far as possible.
Some of the popular over the counter nausea medicines are:
- Bismuth subsalicylate: A very popular prescription drug meant to treat various kinds of digestive and stomach related health issues.
- Promethegan, Ondansetron, Zofran, and Dramamine are some of the most popular prescription medicines for nausea. They come in all forms.
- Generic Anti-Nausea Liquids: They are a mixture of dextrose, fructose, and phosphoric acid.
First Aid Methods To Stop Feeling Nauseous
Simple DIY First Aid methods are easy methods to your problem on how to help nausea.
Applying Cool Compress:
Apply a cool compress for few minutes on the back of your neck when you have a severe nauseous feeling. It helps to prevent queasiness.
It is effective to place the compress at the back of your neck while lying down. If you are sitting, drape the compress across the back of your neck.
If you do not have the ice pack ready for the compress, use a clean washcloth dipped in cold water for performing the cold compress.
Have A Shower Bath
A good shower bath makes you feel fresh and relaxes your body and mind.
Breath In Fresh Air
Being out in the open and breathing in fresh air gives you instant relief from inclinations to vomit. This also helps to divert your attention from the illness and reduces the anxiety.
Lying under the fan and letting the air flow over your face and body will make you feel pleasant.
Sitting Still And Be Relaxed
Some people experience increased tendency to vomit while moving around. Sitting still in a quiet and comfortable place will reduce the feeling of nausea in most cases. If you are well relaxed, take a quick nap that relieves the tendency to vomit.
Avoid working on computers or smartphones if you do not want to add headaches to your nausea.
Stay Away From Strong Odors
Strong and unbearable odors itself are a reason for nausea. Your digestive system gets even more disturbed with strong odors, and this will worsen nausea.
When you have a nauseous feeling, it is better to avoid cooking, smoke, or wearing strong perfumes.
Oil Massage Your Abdomen
Gently massage your abdomen with coconut oil or olive oil. This helps to activate the abdominal muscles and enhances the digestive process. Massaging the stomach is beneficial especially when you have nausea accompanied by a severe stomach ache.
The Bottom Line
By now you are sure of the many natural nausea medicines that can help you.
If you have any better ideas on how to get rid of nausea with home remedies, please share your ideas in the comment section.
In the case of a severe headache, stomachache, body pain, or fever along with nauseous feeling, you should immediately consult a doctor. Children and pregnant woman require special medical attention in all circumstances.
You should rely on natural remedies for nausea only in ordinary conditions of illness, especially conditions of recurring mild feelings of nausea and occasional incidents of the same. (stanthony+ MHC’+)