If you are wondering how to get rid of a bruise, you are in the right place here to find the best remedies for bruise.
Most of us get bruises occasionally which are accompanied by extreme pain, swelling or redness.
A bruise, also called a contusion, happens when the soft tissues of your body have been bumped or injured. It is the result of trauma to small veins under the skin.
“A bruise occurs when blood leaks from tiny blood vessels called capillaries and collects under the skin,” says Dr.Martin Scurr in one of his articles.
Some people have delicate skin which makes them get bruises easily, whereas others may have tougher skin tissues. There are few others who suffer from “easy bruise” syndrome; bruising that occurs without any obvious injuries on the skin.
“Easy bruising may be due to abnormalities or weakness in the blood vessel walls, the skin, the subcutaneous fat (that sits under the skin), or the platelets (cells vital for blood clotting),” says Dr. Martin Scurr.
A bruise causes the red blood cells to ooze out of the injured veins.
The blood clot in the affected area may change its color to purplish, bluish, blackish or red. These color changes in the affected area occur as the internal healing of the bruise reaches at different stages .
This article explores how to quickly recover from bruise overnight with natural remedies and first aids. We shall also discuss the treatment solution for a bruise on the face and bruise scar removal.
What Causes Bruises?
Here are some of the common reasons that cause bruise:
- Minor accidents like falling, bumping into objects or things falling on the body;
- Thinning of veins due to old age;
- Anti-coagulant medication and pills like Aspirin;
- Certain bleeding disorders, such as hemophilia and Von Willebrand’s disease;
- Vitamin deficiency (Vitamins B12, C, and K, or folic acid)[3,4]
- A sign of domestic, child or elder abuse
How To Get Rid Of Bruises Fast With First Aids And DIY Remedies
How fast you can get relief from contusions depends on the severity of the injuries.
In most cases, it is easy to get fast relief from a bruise by doing simple first-aids and natural remedies.
The overnight healing of contusions is about the stoppage of bleeding, pain, and swelling. For complete healing of bruises and recuperation, it will require a few days of treatment.
Severe and critical bruises caused by high impact injuries are complicated and require one or two weeks’ treatment to get rid of them completely.
Now let us look at some of the simple DIY remedies and first-aids for easy and fast relief from ruptured veins.
1. Ice Treatment
You should apply the ice pack for 10-20 minutes for at least 3 times a day. Ice treatment will make the swelling and pain to subside within 48 hours.
Do not apply the ice directly to the skin. Place a towel or pack before applying it to the skin.
2. Take Acetaminophen Or Ibuprofen
For getting fast relief from pain and swelling caused by injured capillaries, you can take OTC pills like Acetaminophen Or Ibuprofen .
To be on a safer side, it is better to take oral medication like pain relief pills after consulting a physician.
You should totally avoid taking Aspirin as this pill would further make the blood thinner and make the bruise worse.
3. Elevate The Bruised Area
Immediately after getting bruises on legs, hands or face, you can lift the affected area above your heart. This helps reduce the blood flow from the ruptured veins and stop the pooling of the blood in the affected area .
If your torso is bruised, you cannot use this option; then you should primarily focus on icing the affected area and resting.
You can gently massage the surrounding area of the affected area for few times a day. You should do massaging only after 12 hours of bruising occurs.
Massaging helps to improve the lymphatic process in the affected area which was disturbed by bruise and clotting of blood .
Do not massage if the affected area is swollen and painful.
Working or frequently moving the affected area increases the flow and leaking of the blood through the ruptured veins.
Completely restrain from active works and exercises; take a complete rest if the bruise is serious. It may be a good time to watch a movie, read a book or enjoy a long sleep.
6. Hot Compress
After 24 hours of getting bruises, you can preferably do hot compresses over the affected areas 3 times a day.
It is better to apply an ice pack on the bruised area 5 minutes before you do the hot compress. Using a warm water-filled heat pack is ideal for treating the affected area of the skin.
For some people ice pack therapy might hurt and cause pain; if so, avoid icing the injury.
7. Sunbathing the Contusion
Ultraviolet light breaks down bilirubin, a yellow compound that occurs in the normal catabolic pathway. This catabolism is an important process in the body’s clearance of waste products that arise from the destruction of red blood cells .
Exposing bruise to direct sunlight for about 10 minutes help accelerate the isomerization of the remaining bilirubin.
Natural Remedies To Make Bruises Go Away Fast
The occurrence of contusions is common for people who live an active life.
Most of the prescription medicines for contusions are meant for treating the symptom of vein injuries like pain and swelling.
In the mainstream treatment what you mostly get is pain killers and anti-inflammatory lotions to heal the bruises. You need to consume or locally apply the prescribed medicines for a couple of days to get rid of bruises.
Natural remedies are a better option for fast healing of contusions.
There several effective natural remedies that work well for managing skin aberrations and vein ruptures caused by trauma.
Home remedies are as effective as prescription medicines; minus the side effects of consuming OTC pain relief pills.
Some of these natural remedies can give overnight relief from the main symptoms of bruise-like internal bleeding, pain, and swelling.
Here are a few of the easy-to-use natural remedies for contusions that work fast and effectively:
1. Vinegar Treatment
Vinegar is a powerful remedy for getting fast relief from bruises.
Add 15ml vinegar to 30ml warm water and with a cotton ball soaked in the vinegar solution gently rub the affected area for few minutes. This treatment should be started only after 12 hours of the injury.
Vinegar activates the veins in the affected and increases the blood flow near the skin’s surface.
Alternatively, you can also use the witch hazel extract in place of the vinegar.
2. Arnica Treatment
Arnica extract and oil is a traditionally used natural remedy for contusions.
It contains anti-inflammatory and astringent properties that work very well for containing pain and swelling.
Do not apply the arnica ointment or oil on the skin if you have open cuts or wounds
Get Arnica ointment and use it for gently massaging the bruised area of the skin.
3. Eat Pineapple
Pineapple contains an enzyme known as “Bromelain” which is beneficial for breaking down the protein that traps fluids in the tissues in the injured area of the body.
Eat a few large slices of pineapple every day to increase the supply of the Bromelain enzyme to the body.
4. Apply Parsley
Parsley leaves contain therapeutic properties that can quickly reduce pain and inflammation. It is also effective for faster healing of the punctured or ruptured veins.
Grind the parsley leaves into thick paste form and apply it over the area of the bruise. It is better to wrap the application with a cotton bandage; let it stay there overnight.
5. Apply A Live Leech
Live leech bites on wounds and the bruised area is an effective Chinese holistic treatment method.
You can apply a live leech on the injured area of the skin and let the leech bite and suck the blood for 2 minutes. It will suck out the clogged blood pool under the skin which is very beneficial for faster healing of contusions.
You can remove the leech by applying petroleum jelly or table salt on the leech.
How To Get Rid Of Bruises On Face?
It is a cosmetic concern to have a bruise on the face. Everyone will be eager to get rid of it at the earliest from the face.
Fortunately, you can easily and quickly remove the minor bruises on the face within a matter of a few days without even consulting a doctor. Medical attention is necessary only if the contusion is severe and large.
Here are the few of the best DIY remedies for contusions on face:
- Apply the ice pack on the affected area; repeatedly do it few times a day. Ice cube compress fairly reduces most of the symptoms of the injury overnight.
- Do warm compress to relieve swelling and pain; it should be done only after 24 hours of the injury.
- Use makeup concealer to hide the visible symptoms of the injury. It is best for hiding skin discoloration. Choose the makeup concealer that matches your skin tone.
- Do apple cider vinegar soak on the affected area of the facial skin; this is beneficial for removing the bruise marks on the skin. ACV heals the injury and gently exfoliates the skin to lighten the discoloration on the skin.
Tips For Managing Bruises Effectively
Here are a few tips and simple remedies that can help you heal the bruises on the skin quickly and get rid of the scars caused by contusion.
- Do not touch, pick or scratch the injured area.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel on the skin. It is soothing and comforting and helps remove discoloration of the skin.
- Placing banana peel on the bruise for 10 minutes can help lighten the discoloration.
- Do not exercise or do laborious works which exert pressure on the injured area.
- If you have an “easy bruise” problem, you need to avail medical help to diagnose the cause and remedy the same.
- Do not keep an ice pack on bruises for more than 10 minutes continuously or it will hurt the skin
- Do not message directly on the bruise, but you can massage the unaffected areas surrounding the bruise.
- Vitamin K and E can help in correcting scars and repairing the damages on skin.
- Do not take painkillers that lead to blood thinning.
- Avoid smoking and alcoholic drinks which slow down the healing process.
- Do not bandage the bruised area of the skin.
When Do You Need To Consult A Doctor?
All minor bruises and injuries are not serious medical conditions. They can be treated and cured at home with natural medicines and OTC medicines.
However, you need to visit the doctor after the bruise only if the following conditions or situations arise:
- If you feel extreme pressure around the bruise, it may be compartment syndrome (lack of oxygen supply to the affected area) which needs to be immediately treated;
- Easy bruising occurring without bumping, falling or accidental injuries;
- High fever or headaches accompanying the bruise which is a sign of infection;
- If increasing pain and swelling continues after 24 hours of the injury;
- In case of a lump (hematoma) forming over the bruised area;
- If you have a family history of easy bruising or bleeding;
- If you are already under medication for other diseases.
Warnings On DIY Remedies For Bruise
It is possible to get complete relief from minor bruises through DIY home remedies. However, you should be aware of certain nuances of treating contusions at home with natural remedies.
- Do not use home remedies to treat the bruises that suddenly appear on the skin without any apparent reasons not known to you.
- It is safe to consult a doctor before you start a new medication, especially if you have delicate health.
- If you are not seeing any reduction in symptoms of bruises after 24 hours, you should stop the home remedies and consult a doctor.
- Before using a natural remedy for contusions, you should check the allergic possibilities they can have on your skin.
- Home remedies used to heal contusions are not medically proven treatment solutions; it may have unknown risks to your health.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE READING