It is possible to get rid of the pain and discomfort arising out of varicose veins (spider veins) with home remedies.
Natural treatments with essential oils work best for varicose veins. Among the many natural remedies available, essential oils are most effective in removing the blood clots that causing spider veins.
In this article, I would like to bring home to you the best essential oils that you can use for getting rid of varicose and spider veins.
What Are Varicose Veins And Spider Veins?
“Varicose veins are swollen and enlarged veins – usually blue or dark purple – that usually occur on the legs. They may also be lumpy, bulging, or twisted in appearance.”
“Spider veins are smaller, red, purple, and blue vessels that also twist and turn.”
Varicose veins are more painful and acute than spider veins.
As we age, it is quite common to find jagged purple lines or swollen bluish cords appearing across our legs. In rare cases, they do appear on any parts of the body in some individuals.
As per estimation, up to 60% of people in the U.S. have varicose veins. They are common, nearly a third of people in western societies have varicose veins, and hardly a few are ever harmed by them.
Common symptoms are:
- Swollen feet and ankles
- Heavy and painful legs
- Discoloration and dry skin
- Frequent muscle cramps on legs
- Throbbing or burning sensation on legs
- Itchy and thin skin over the affected areas
What Causes Varicose Veins And Spider Veins?
According to a report published by the University Of Maryland Medical Center, “Varicose veins develop when your veins stretch and their valves, which stop blood from flowing backward, do not work anymore.”
Spider veins and varicose veins do occur because of the excessive pressure that is constantly exerted on blood vessels. Constant pressure on blood vessels (in a particular area of the body) results in the pooling and clotting of blood in the absence of smooth blood flow.
Our legs that carry the entire weight of the body are most vulnerable to developing varicose veins.
The veins on the legs have to pump blood against the gravity of the heart. When there is excess pressure on blood vessels on the legs, the flow of blood becomes slow, and this causes pooling and clotting of blood. When this happens regularly, the veins become weak, large, and twisted; the veins turn purple or blue due to the lack of nutrients and oxygen being pumped to the legs.
Normally, the varicose veins are not dangerous, but they can become painful and cause a lot of discomfort to the body.
A few of the prominent reasons that lead to the development of spider veins are:
- Blood clots
- Injury or damage
- Prolonged standing on legs
- Lack of exercise and physical exertion
- Imbalance in hormone
- Diets that lack healthy nutrition
- Hereditary – genetically acquires from parents or grandparents
Best Essential Oils For Varicose And Spider Veins
Essential oil treatments are the best natural remedies for spider veins. There is a few essentials oils combination that effectively cures varicose veins.
According to an in vitro study, essential oils have a cooling and cleansing effect; soothes itchy skin, relieve inflammation and swelling of blood vessels.
These oils have antispasmodic qualities that help in inhibiting muscle spasms, cramps, and muscle pulls.
Cypress oil is a proven natural remedy for relieving restless leg syndrome – a neurological situation that causes pulling, throbbing, and spasms in muscles.
The use of essential oils stimulates blood flow and regulates the clotting of blood.
Unwanted pooling of blood in veins due to increased pressure in the blood vessels can be relieved through the external application of essential oils.
These natural oils contain nutrients and antioxidants that help in strengthening the capillary walls of the blood vessels.
The antioxidant properties of essential oils help in removing the inflammation on blood vessels that block the smooth blood flow.
Here are the best essential oils for getting rid of spider veins and varicose veins:
Chamomile – contains excellent anti-inflammatory properties that help in preventing inflammation in veins.
Cypress – strengthens blood vessels, improves blood flow, and regulates the clotting of blood.
Lemon – contains astringent properties that help in the smooth flow of blood
Lemongrass – analgesic properties in it reduce the pain and discomfort; the astringent elements in it regulate the blood flow
Rosemary – help in relieving pain and muscle spasm; the antioxidants in it removes and prevents inflammation in blood vessels
Geranium – boosts blood circulation and decreases unsightly swelling; hydrates and loosens the skin over the varicose vein affected area
Yarrow – stimulates blood flow by removing blood pooling and clotting, and reduces inflammation
Ginger – Ginger and ginger oil can help to reduce prostaglandins, the pain-causing compound in varicose veins
Helichrysum – dissolves coagulated blood inside and outside of veins; helps to balance the blood pressure and improves the heart’s health. Also, enhances the condition of blood vessels by lowering inflammation.
Frankincense – supports strong blood vessels and improves the smooth flow of blood.
Besides the above-mentioned essential oils for varicose veins, Eucalyptus oil, Lavender oil, Marjoram oil, and Peppermint oil are also beneficial.
How To Use Essential Oils Remedy?
Essential oils contain powerful natural properties that often cause discomfort and irritation to the skin are NOT diluted. It is good to dilute the essential oils with carrier oils like jojoba oil, avocado oil, olive oil, or coconut oil before applying them directly to the skin. Below you can find the commonly followed different methods of this natural remedy for spider vein:-
1. Essential Oil Massage
Add a few drops of essential oil in the required amount of carrier oil and blend it correctly. Gently massage the oil mixture over the varicose vein affected areas of the body and repeat the application twice or thrice a day
2. Essential Oil With Compress
Do a warm or cool compress over the affected area to increase blood circulation and to decrease pain and inflammation. You can prepare a compress by soaking the compress cloth in warm or cold water. Apply a few drops of the essential oil mixture on the affected area after the completion of the compress.
3. Warm Foot Bath
Aching and swollen varicose veins and muscles can be soothed and relieved by having a warm water foot bath with essential oils. Take a big jar of hot water and add a few drops of the essential oil mixture in it; allow the legs up to ankle level to remain soaked in this water for 2o minutes.
Different Essential Oil Blends For Spider Vein
Usually, the right combination of the various blends of essential oils gives the best results in soothing the varicose veins. You can use any combination of the oils that work best for your situation.
You can add up to 15 drops of essential oil in one ounce of carrier oil. Here are some of the popular essential oil blends for varicose veins.
1. Essential Oil Massage Blend
- 4 tsp carrier oil
- 10 drops neroli
- 10 drops geranium
- 5 drops cypress
- Properly blend the essential oils with a carrier oil in a glass bottle
- Massage your legs with 1 teaspoon of blended oil; repeat this twice daily
- Always massage on the sides of the varicose vein and in an upward motion
- Avoid rubbing the oil directly over the varicose vein
- After a few minutes of massaging keep the legs elevated for 20 minutes.
2. Essential Oil Warm/Cold Foot Bath Blend
- 3 drops lavender
- 3 drops geranium
- Two jars (wide enough to hold both feet)
- Fill one jar with cold water and the other with warm water
- Add 3 drops of lavender to the cold water
- Add 3 drops of geranium to the hot water
- Keep both feet soaked in the cold water jar for the first five minutes
- Then soak both feet in the warm water jar for the next five minutes
- It is advisable to have an essential oil massage after bathing the feet in both cold and warm water.
3. Essential Oil Blend For Preventive Massage
- 5 Drops Peppermint Oil
- 5 Drops Lemon Oil
- 10 Drops Geranium Oil
- 10 Drops Cypress Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Carrier Oil
- Properly blend the oils in a glass bowl
- Gently massage the oil blend in an upward motion on the legs
- Do not massage directly over the varicose veins
- Repeat the massage twice a day
- Wash the oil only after 30 minutes of the massage
4. Yarrow Essential Oil Blend Massage Remedy
Yarrow essential oil is effective for stimulating blood circulation and removes the pooling of blood in the veins. Yarrow essential oil helps in reducing the varicose vein swelling and appearance.
- 4 drops Yarrow essential oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil/argon oil
- Properly blend the oils
- Massage legs with the oil blend from the ankles in an upward motion
- Do not massage directly over the varicose veins
- Do this massage twice a day
- Wash the legs only after 30 minutes of massaging
- Keep the feet elevated for 20 minutes after the massage
5. Oil Blends For Daytime Massage
- 10 drops geranium
- 5 drops hyssop
- 15 drops cypress
- 2 tablespoons carrier oil
- Blend the oils properly
- Massage the oils’ mixture on legs from the ankles
- Do not massage the oil blend directly over the varicose veins
- Keeps the legs elevated for better relief
6. Oil Blends For Night-time Massage
- 30 drops parsley
- 2 tablespoons carrier oil
- Massage the blended on legs (shin and thigh)
- Avoid massaging the essential oil over the varicose vein
- Let the oil stay on legs overnight
Best Foods For Spider Vein
Poor nutrition and hormonal imbalance are the two main reasons for varicose veins. A well-balanced and nutritious daily diet is essential for getting rid of spider veins naturally.
Cayenne Pepper – The capsaicin properties in Cayenne pepper heats the body, and this helps to increase blood flow and removes blood clots.
High Fiber Foods – High fiber foods relieve constipation that otherwise increase blood pressure. Make sure to include up to 50 grams of fiber-rich foods in your daily diet.
Avocado – The rich nutrients and antioxidant components in avocado protect the heart, arteries, and veins from oxidant damage and strengthen them.
Ginger – Natural ingredients in ginger can dissolve fibrin in blood vessels and improve the smooth flow of blood.
Vitamin E – Adequate daily intake of Vitamin E helps in preventing blood clotting and pooling in the varicose veins. The best natural sources of Vitamin E are sunflower seeds, almonds, cruciferous vegetables, and other green leafy vegetables.
Buckwheat – It is one of the best natural sources of flavonoid rutin that helps in preventing blood clotting in varicose veins.
Asparagus – It helps to strengthen veins and capillaries.
Other Remedies For Varicose Veins
Adopting healthy food and lifestyle habits are essential for preventing varicose or spider veins. Here are some of the tips for preventing spider veins:
- Avoid sitting with crossed legs to avoid exerting unwanted pressure on blood vessels.
- Do not stand or walk for a long duration
- Persons with varicose veins could keep the legs elevated while sitting or lying down to reduce the gravitational pressure on veins
- Use a body brush to brush-massage the affected veins; this activates the veins and increases the blood flow
- Eat more anti-inflammatory foods such as ginger, blueberries, turmeric, olive oil, broccoli, kale, green tea, etc. Removal of inflammation in blood vessels increases the smooth flow of blood and prevents the clotting of blood.
- Do regular physical exercises for improving blood circulation
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
- Eat a good amount of fiber-rich foods to avoid constipation and improve metabolic rate.
- Wear comfortable stocking that helps in improving the blood circulation and reduces the pressure on veins
The Bottom Line
Essential oils for varicose veins help to alleviate discomfort and pain. It is advantageous to use essential oils as they are effective natural remedies for spider veins with no side effects.
The natural properties of essential oils promote blood circulation and vascular health. Almost all of these oils are effective in strengthening the capillary wall of the blood vessels.
To get the best result from essential oils, it is necessary to use them regularly for a continuous period of 3 to 6 months.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE READING