Hemorrhoid is a tormenting and embarrassing health issue. Unfortunately, some patients struggle with it for years.
Among the many natural remedies, essential oils for hemorrhoids are one of the fantastic treatment options worth trying.
Piles do not pose any serious threat to your life, but the bleeding, pain, and itching caused by this disease are quite unbearable to most patients.
An Overview Of Hemorrhoids
According to a Mayo Clinic report, about 50 percent of adults could experience at least a few symptoms of hemorrhoids by the age of 50.
The veins surrounding the anus or rectum are known as rectal venous plexus (or hemorrhoidal plexus); they communicate in front with the vesical venous plexus in the male, and the uterovaginal plexus in the female.
According to Gray’s Anatomy, “veins of the hemorrhoidal plexus are contained in very loose connective tissue, so that they get less support from surrounding structures than most other veins, and are less capable of resisting increased blood-pressure.”
Hemorrhoid occurs when hemorrhoidal veins are inflamed and swollen because of continuous high blood pressure and tension in the rectum area.
External hemorrhoids occur outside the anus while internal hemorrhoids develop within the anus or rectum.
Major reasons for inflamed veins around the rectum are:
- Straining during bowel movements
- Sitting on the toilet for a long time
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea
- Colon cancer
- Previous rectal surgery
- Spinal cord injury
- Lack of erect posture while sitting
‘Piles’ is the popularly used name for inflamed hemorrhoids in common parlance.
Symptoms of piles include blood-tinged stool, bleeding in the rectum, protrusions in the anus, itchiness, and pain.
Piles can very well be cured within a month or two; however, it can become a recurring disease if you fail to adopt precautionary steps to prevent it.
Most patients can get rid of hemorrhoids with herbal supplements, high fiber diets, non-surgical treatment, essential oil remedies, and changes of unhealthy lifestyle habits.
Do Essential Oils For Hemorrhoids Work?
Essential oils contain anti-inflammatory and anti-infective agents, vitamins, enzymes, and fatty acids which work well for treating hemorrhoids.
Here are some of the particular ways that EOs become beneficial for curing piles:
1. They contain powerful therapeutic properties: Essential Oils (EOs) contain several medicinal properties that provide healing effects. They also provide the body with vitamins and nutrients required for the faster healing of piles.
2. Strengthen blood vessels: Essential oils help to improve the structural integrity of the blood vessels and reduce the chances of veins getting easily ruptured or inflamed.
3. Stop Bleeding: Some of the EOs quickly fortify the ruptured veins and aids in faster blood clotting while bleeding.
4. Reduce Pain: Anesthetic and antiseptic properties in essential oils can be of immense help in reducing pain and swelling.
5. Remove Swelling: EOs contain anti-inflammatory properties which are beneficial for quickly shrinking swelling caused by inflamed tissues in the rectal area.
6. Reduces Itching: Piles can cause severe itching and burning sensation; EOs can soothe the inflamed tissues by reducing itching and burning sensation.
7. Improves Blood Circulation: Proper blood flow to the inflamed tissues is necessary for faster healing of piles. EOs help reduces swelling and rejoin the ruptured blood vessels for improved blood circulation.
8. Natural And Safe: EOs are natural and safe to use as they do not produce any side effects, unlike prescription medicines.
7 Best Essential Oils For Hemorrhoids Worth Using
If you are suffering from hemorrhoids, you could consider using essential oils to treat this embarrassing and tormenting disease. Here are some of the best essential oils and oil blends you can use.
Cypress oil is one of the best essential oils that work great for managing piles.
Hemostatic and astringent properties present in this oil are very beneficial for clotting blood and stopping bleeding. Traditionally, cypress is the oil is used to heal fresh wounds.
This oil helps inflamed tissues and blood vessels contract and heal.
Dilute 5 drops of Cypress oil in 15 ml carrier oil such as jojoba, sweet almond, avocado, or coconut plus a few drops of lemon juice. You can put the diluted mixture of these oils onto the affected area, or simply add a few drops of cypress oil to a sitz bath. Repeat this treatment thrice a day.
Lavender oil is the king of all essential oils for its numerous health benefits and uses.
This oil is anti-inflammatory, analgesic, calming, and anti-itch. It can quickly soothe the inflamed piles by relieving pain, itching, and swelling.
Make a blend of lavender and juniper oil and apply this oil blend onto the affected area or in a sitz bath to help relieve pain and itching.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is said to be the most effective essential oil for piles.
This oil has an antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and cooling effect. It is a powerful medicine that can alone take care of most symptoms of hemorrhoids.
Applying a few drops of diluted tea tree oil around the affected area can quickly reduce pain and swelling. It also prevents the possibility of infection occurring in the inflamed tissues in the rectum.
Castor oil is good carrier oil you can use for diluting tea tree oil for treating hemorrhoids.
Helichrysum is known for its antiallergenic and anti-inflammatory ability. This oil is very effective in soothing the inflamed piles.
You can apply a few drops of Helichrysum oil diluted in carrier oils like avocado, sweet almond, or castor in the affected area three times a day for fast results.
Geranium oil is a well-known folklore remedy for healing wounds. This oil works well for healing the inflamed wounds in the anus caused by piles. It is effective in stopping bleeding and reducing pain by numbing the nerves.
Apply a few drops of diluted geranium oil directly onto the affected area or in sitz-bath.
6. Roman Chamomile
Chamomile is effective in soothing inflammation and encourages the regeneration of new tissues in the piles’ affected area.
It is also effective for numbing the nerves to calm down pain and itching. This oil can quickly reduce the pain, irritation, and swelling caused by both internal and external hemorrhoids.
Apply this essential oil onto the affected area, but make sure to dilute it first in a carrier oil. You can also use the Chamomile oil-enriched herbal cream specially formulated to deal with skin issues.
Frankincense oil is effective in reducing pain and itching from hemorrhoids by calming the nervous system.
It has antiviral and antibacterial properties that can effectively prevent possible infections arising from hemorrhoids.
This oil may help in healing and contracting the inflamed and swollen tissues in and around the rectum.
Make a blend of two or three drops of frankincense oil with 2 tablespoons of liquid lanolin, and massage this mixture onto the inflamed area.
Best Carrier Oils And Other EOs
Essential oils are potent plant extracts with active medicinal and chemical properties. It is important to dilute the essential oils in skin-friendly carrier oils before you use them on the skin directly.
Some of the best carrier oils you can use for diluting EOs are:
- Coconut Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Almond Oil
- Castor Oil
Besides the 7 essential oils we have just discussed, other best oils for hemorrhoids are Patchouli, Juniper, Neroli, Evening Primrose Oil, and Sandalwood.
Oil Blends For Treating Piles
It is always advantageous to use a blend of essential oils to achieve the best possible healing result in piles treatment.
Now, let us look at some of the best essential oils combinations or blends you can use for treating hemorrhoids.
1. Warm Essential Oil Wash Cloth Blend
Here is an effective blend of essential oils that can give you fast and effective relief from the symptoms of hemorrhoids.
- Patchouli oil: 5 drops
- Cypress oil: 3 drops
- Myrrh oil: 10 drops
Directions For Use:
Mix these oils thoroughly in a glass bowl; you may slightly warm up the mixture for perfect blending. Apply a sufficient amount of this oil on a washcloth and place the oil-soaked washcloth in the hemorrhoids affected area for 5 minutes. Repeat the treatment three times a day.
2. Itch Blend
Here is a fine blend of essential oils that you can use for reducing itching and irritation caused by piles.
- Lavender oil: 4 drops
- Geranium oil: 5 drops
- Bergamot oil: 4 drops
- Coconut Oil: 1 Ounce
Directions For Use:
Take the oils in the required amount and blend them in a glass bowl. After cleansing the piles’ affected area, with the help of a cotton ball apply the oil blend onto the pile’s affected area. Repeat the treatment 3 times a day.
3. Sitz Bath Blend For Hemorrhoids
Here is a compelling blend of oils and milk you can use in a sitz bath for getting relief from the symptoms of piles.
- Chamomile oil: 3 drops
- Juniper Oil: 3 drops
- Sandalwood oil: 3 drops
- Milk: 5ml
Direction For Use:
Mix the ingredient oils and milk in a glass bowl. Add this blend of oils to the warm water; agitate and disperse the water for allowing the oil to spread evenly. Soak the piles’ affected area in the water for 15 minutes. Repeat this treatment twice daily.
4. Oil Blend For Bleeding
If you are suffering from piles with continuous bleeding, treat the affected area with the following blends of oils:
- Cypress oil: 5 drops
- Helichrysum oil: 5 drops
- Frankincense Oil: 5 drops
- Lavender Oil: 5 drops
- Coconut Oil: 20 ml.
Directions For Use:
Blend the oil mixture in a glass bowl; gently warming up the mixture is desirable for perfect blending. Store the oil blend in a closed glass jar.
With a cotton ball, you can apply 3-5 drops of blended oil to the affected area 3 times a day.
Tips For Preventing And Fast Healing Of Hemorrhoids
To overcome hemorrhoids, you must adopt preventive steps and changes in your food and lifestyle habits. Essential oil for treating piles is productive when it is used in combination with other factors and remedies for curing this disease.
Here are some of the important factors for faster healing of piles:
- Improve Your Diet: Eat fiber-rich foods daily; you need to get about 35 grams of fiber daily.
- Fermented Foods: Eating a good bit of fermented food like kefir, pastured yogurt, kombucha, or kimchi is good for creating comfortable bowel moments.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Constipation or indigestion can be caused by dehydration due to a lack of sufficient water or fluid intake. Getting rid of constipation is essential for preventing piles. Drink 8-12 glasses daily to keep your body well hydrated.
- Avoid Alcohol And Spicy Foods: Hemorrhoids get worsened if you consume alcohol or spicy foods.
- Follow Healthy Toilet Habits: Sitting too long on the toilet is the prime reason for piles in most patients. Try going to the toilet as soon as you feel the urge to go and complete the act quickly. Do not strain the rectum while passing the stool. Make sure to clean the anus and surrounding area neatly after excretion.
- Use Herbal Supplements: It is good to use herbal supplements to heal or prevent piles. Herbal remedies with supplements such as Butcher’s Broom, Pycnogenol, Horse Chestnut, Witch Hazel, or Psyllium Husk are greatly beneficial for healing and warding off piles.
The Bottom Line
Essential oils may be used as excellent alternative remedies for getting rid of hemorrhoids.
However, it is best to use them as an additional boost to your regular treatments for piles.
It must also be noted that every patient does not respond to natural remedies in the same way. For some, they may work exceedingly well but for some others, it may not.
For best results, you must get therapeutic-grade EOs from trustworthy sellers. Essential oils treatment for piles must be combined with proper toilet habits, fiber-rich diets, fermented foods, and healthy lifestyle habits to get fast relief from the disease.
If you have any comments or questions on hemorrhoid treatment, please post them in the comment box below.