You will find several types of essential oils with therapeutic powers for healing diseases and with various other uses; one such great oil is the copaiba oil.
It is going to be interesting for you to learn about the many uses and health benefits of copaiba essential oil in this article.
Unfortunately, the existence of this essential oil is not known to most people. Currently, copaiba balsam is chiefly used for making lacquer, varnish, and biodiesel. In fact, very little information on the therapeutic values of this oil is known to the medical world.
It is only in the last two decades that health scientists have begun to explore the therapeutic potential of copaiba oil. However, the indigenous people of South America have been extensively using this oil for curing various diseases for hundreds of years.
Some of the great uses of this oil include its power to eliminate inflammation, reduce pain, prevent infection, repair skin, resist fungal growth, nourish the hair and skin, improve respiratory health, promote the healthy functioning of the bladder and reduce blood pressure.
What Is Copaiba Essential Oil?
“Copaiba is a stimulant oleoresin obtained from the trunk of several pinnate-leaved South American leguminous trees.” This legumes tree is native to the Amazon rain forest of South America is scientifically called Copaifera Langsdorffi or copaifera officinalis (1,2).
Copaiba consists of resins and oils. Its thick, transparent exudates vary in color from light gold to dark brown.
Copaiba essential oil is extracted through the process of steam distilling the balsamic resins obtained from the Copaifera tree. This oil is colorless to light yellow liquid. Usually, the oil has the odor of balsam, slightly pungent, and bitter taste.
There aren’t much extensive researches done to discover the fullest healing potential of this oil. However, a few studies have analyzed the therapeutic properties, and chemical builds up of this oil. Some of the chief elements in this oil are:
- Daniellic acid;
- Beta-bisabolene (3).
Copaiba essential oil uses are many when it comes to the medicinal powers of this oil. Besides being an excellent remedy for many illnesses, this oil also has the potential to improve digestion, stimulate the immune system and heal wounds.
Let us look at a few of the major therapeutic qualities that make this oil very beneficial for health:
- Anti-inflammatory: The is oil best known for its anti-inflammatory powers;
- Emollient: The fats in Copaiba oil is excellent for moisturizing;
- Disinfectant: It can prevent the infections on wounds and bruises by keeping the pathogens at bay;
- Expectorant: Helps in clearing blocks in the throat and nose by loosening the phlegm or mucus;
- Astringent: Aids in the shrinking of skin tissues to heal the wounds/cuts;
- Cicatrizant: Speeds up the healing of wounds and cuts through the increased accumulation of collagen fibers that forms scar tissues;
- Anti-Cancer: Beneficial for treating cancers that affect the stomach and skin
- Diuretic: Increases the production of urine and faster expulsion of toxic content from the body;
- Hypotensive: Helps in lowering the blood pressure;
- Anti-Irritant: Soothes and calms down skin irritations.
Anti-inflammatory Power Of Copaiba Essential Oil: Among the many essential oils, Copaiba oil is said to be the most powerful in anti-inflammatory capacity. It contains a rare nutrient called beta-caryophyllene which is a potent anti-inflammatory substance.
Traditionally the clove essential oil is considered to be a powerful anti-inflammatory essential oil because of the beta-caryophyllene substance in it. But the Copaiba oil contains 6 to 8 times the amount of beta-caryophyllene found in clove essential oil.
Copaiba Essential Oil Uses And Health Benefits
The uses and health benefits of Copaiba essential oil are many. Copaiba oil-resin is widely used in traditional medicines due to its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic activities. It has myriad uses in skin care and pain relief.
Other therapeutic benefits of this oil include its ability to cure internal diseases like certain types of cancer, lupus, digestive disorders, high blood pressure, headache, hair care, and many more.
Besides the many therapeutic uses, the Copaiba balsam and oil-resin are commercially used in making soaps, fragrances, biodiesel, varnish, lacquer, and insecticide.
This oil is mostly used as a topical treatment for various skin disorders and hair care. This oil is also ingestible, unlike most other essential oils.
Let us look at some of the best therapeutic uses of Copaiba essential oils now.
1. Uses Of Copaiba Oil For Skincare
Copaiba oil is exceptionally beneficial for curing different types of common maladies that occur to the skin. The astringent properties present in this oil are beneficial for healing cuts, wounds, and blemishes on the skin.
According to another research report when chronic psoriasis patients were treated with oral intake or topical application of copaiba oleoresin, it resulted in a significant reduction in the typical signs of this disease, i.e. erythema, skin thickness, and scaliness (4).
- Skin Tightening And Wrinkles Removal: The astringent substances in copaiba oil helps to reduce wrinkles and tighten the skin.
- Heals Wounds: Heals wounds and lesions on the skin by strengthening the skin tissues and scar formation.
- Anti-irritant: Beneficial for fighting skin irritation and allergies. This oil is gentle and soothing for the skin, unlike many other essential oils.
- Moisturizes The Skin: The fat contents in the oil help to remove dryness and scale formation on the skin by moisturizing it.
- Lifts the Sagging Skins: This oil contains active ingredients that can boost the production of collagen to make the skin firmer and elastic.
- Removes Acne And Psoriasis: The anti-inflammatory properties of this oil reduce the bump and redness of acne. The anti-bacterial properties in it help to reduce the irritation and severity of eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
- Removes Scars And Stretch Marks: The astringent elements in copaiba oil helps in the reduction of stretch marks and scars. This oil is most effective for scar removal when it is mixed with coconut oil treatment for the skin.
- Varicose Veins Treatment: This oil has the effectiveness in reducing pain and swelling of varicose veins. It improves blood circulation and removes the blood clogging in the veins.
- Rejuvenation Of Skin: Copaiba oil contains powerful nutrients and organic compounds that help to remove hyperpigmentation, scars, and stretch marks. It helps to rejuvenate and strengthen the skin tissues from within.
2. Copaiba Oil For Pain Relief
The analgesic properties of Copaiba oil are effective in reducing pain and swelling especially those arising from inflammatory issues. It is also used in aromatherapies to suppress pain and stress. When topically applied, this oil helps to loosen the muscles, removes the inflammation of joints, and relieves congestion and stress. Let us now look at a few of the best pain relief remedies with this oil:
- Headaches And Migraines: Topical application and aromatherapy with copaiba essential oil help in reducing headaches and migraines.
- Wounds And Bruises: This oil not only helps to heal the wounds but also reduces the pain arising out of inflammation. It increases the elasticity of the skin and heals the wound through scaring.
- Back Pain And Sciatica: Using copaiba oil for massaging the back and joints are effective for reducing back pain and joint pain; it is most effective if used before the chiropractic session.
- Rheumatism And Arthritis: The excellent quality anti-inflammatory properties make this oil one of the best natural treatments for rheumatism, gout, arthritis, and painful joints.
3. Copaiba Oil For Respiratory Health
Relief from common respiratory problems like congestion, nasal allergy, and bronchitis can be achieved by inhaling copaiba essential oil. The anti-inflammatory properties of this oil can relieve the chest congestion caused by bronchitis and phlegm deposits in the walls of the lungs.
4. Prevents And Heals Infection
Another significant medicinal use of copaiba oil is preventing and healing common infections. The antibacterial properties of this oil help in boosting the immune system to fight infections. Applying this oil on the skin as a moisturizer forms a protective shield on the skin to defend against the harmful pathogens that can cause skin diseases.
5. Lowers Blood Pressure
The anti-inflammatory elements in this essential oil help to soothe the inflammatory stress and congestion in the blood vessels. Using copaiba oil in aromatherapy or as part of other essential oil remedies can help in reducing blood pressure that affects cardiovascular health. This is also beneficial for preventing atherosclerosis which can lead to stroke and coronary heart diseases.
6. Relieves Anxiety And Elevates Moods
Aromatherapy with copaiba essential oil is a commonly used treatment for relieving tension and stress. It helps to relieve anxiety and elevates the mood. This oil has the pleasant sweet smell of rich honey which gives a soothing sensation to the sensory nerves. Usually, the combination of Copaiba, Lavender, and Frankincense oils is used in aromatherapy to lighten the moods and relieve tension.
7. Produces Diuretic Effects In Treating Incontinence
One of the important Copaiba essential oil uses is for treating incontinence. This oil can help to detoxify the system by stimulating urination. It contains a diuretic substance that is very beneficial in controlling bedwetting and helping incontinence.
Just massaging this oil on the area below the abdomen helps to tone down muscles of the bladder and urinary tract; this contributes to reducing the occurrences of incontinence.
8. Produces Powerful Antifungal Effect
It is easy and efficient to treat the fungal infection with the Copaiba oil. The unique terpene elements present in this oil are a potent antifungal agent. In fact, this oil is a commonly used natural treatment for athlete’s foot, nail fungus, and Candida.
9. Helps To Heal Lupus
The beta-caryophyllene compound found in this essential oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory substance. It helps to reduce inflammation and inhibits the symptoms of diseases like lupus, fibromyalgia, and arthritis.
10. Effective Oil In Sitz Bath
Sitz bath is a proven remedy for hemorrhoids and genital infections caused by bacteria or fungus. Using copaiba oil in a sitz bath helps to get relief from the pain, bleeding, and itching caused by hemorrhoids. It improves the blood circulation in the affected areas of the skin and helps in the faster healing of hemorrhoids.
11. Heals Insect Bite
Copaiba essential oil is used to get rid of the pain and swelling resulting from insect bites, wasp, and bee stings. The anti-irritant properties in Copaiba oil are beneficial for getting rid of the venomous effect of the wasp sting.
How To Use Copaiba Essential Oil?
We have already seen some of the best uses and health benefits of Copaiba Essential Oil. Now let us see the effective way to make use of this oil for obtaining maximum health benefits from it.
Soak a cotton ball with two or three drops of this oil and massage it over the acne, whiteheads, pimples, psoriasis, or eczema-affected areas. This same method could be followed for all other topical use to get rid of inflammation and pain. Do not wash or remove the oil from the skin for two hours minimum.
Massage the oil on the desired areas of the skin for getting rid of scars, wrinkles, stretch marks, or dryness on the skin. The massaging technique is also used for back pain, arthritis, rheumatism, chest congestion, or insect bites. You can also rejuvenate and improve the elasticity of the skin by massaging the oil into desired areas of the skin.
Diffuse or inhale the Copaiba oil directly for relieving congestion, anxiety, and mental stress. Inhaling is also done for elevating the mood and getting rid of nausea feeling.
It is safe to consume a few drops of this oil internally. However, you should consume this oil in capsules or diluted in coconut oil or tea. Limit the consumption to 2 or 3 drops at a time. Consuming internally helps to remove inflammation, congestion, indigestion, and diarrhea.
Side Effects And Precautions
Copaiba essential is generally safe for external use and ingest internally. There are few reported cases of copaiba balsam and oil side effects. Copaiba balsam can cause side effects such as stomach pains, diarrhea, vomiting, tremor, rash, groin pain, and sleeplessness. It can cause redness, itching, and a rash when used on the skin.
Here are a few tips to avoid the side effects of Copaiba essential oil:
- Do not consume this oil in overdose (maximum 2 -3 drops at a time);
- Do not ingest copaiba oil without the recommendation of a therapist or physician;
- If you have sensitive skin prone to allergy; you should always dilute this essential oil in a carrier oil before using it on the skin;
- In case of any allergic reactions, stop using this oil.
The Bottom Line
Copaiba essential oil uses and health benefits are many. The uses of oil and balsam are both medicinal and commercial. The therapeutic powers of the Copaiba oil-resin and oil can be utilized for treating hemorrhoids, bronchitis, diarrhea, constipation, bladder issues, and urinary tract infections.
Copaiba essential oil is effective in eliminating germs. The anti-inflammatory properties of the copaiba oil help to fight inflammation and pain. It can act as a diuretic and also help in loosening chest congestion as an expectorant.
If you know any other unique Copaiba essential oil uses and health benefits share your thoughts in the comment section below.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE READING